New User Transferring from Lightworks to DaVinci Resolve?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Fox_GAMING_NTF

New User Transferring from Lightworks to DaVinci Resolve?

PostSun Aug 01, 2021 4:44 pm

Hi, I'm new here, and I was wondering if I could get any help in trying to adapt from Lightworks to Resolve. One of my main questions is is there an equivalent to the DVE Effect in Lightworks? You could transform the entire video around the screen and keyframe it, I cannot find a similar effect in Resolve.

Are there custom effects? Are there free ones?

Is there a way to make a selection of part of a video and then transform / move around that selection? (Like the Polymask effect in Lightworks)?

Is there any good information for people transferring from Lightworks to DaVinci Resolve?

Thanks!

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: New User Transferring from Lightworks to DaVinci Resolve

PostMon Aug 02, 2021 1:57 am

moved to Resovle forum
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Gary Hango

PostMon Aug 02, 2021 6:26 am

I too came from Lightworks. The equivalent for the DVE effect is Resolves clip inspector. On the Edit page, select a clip in your timeline. On the right side of the screen use the Transform controls in the Inspector. Add keyframes by using the diamond shaped buttons by each control.

There are a lot of built in effects and you can also install 3rd party OFX plugins. There is an API for creating and compiling your own OFX plugins. If you purchase the Studio version you can use Resolves DCTL shader language that’s similar to Lightworks FX language.

I used to be quite active on the Lightworks forum and developed many user effects for it, including the Polymasks. My user name there is khaver.
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700, 3.40GHz, 32.0 GB
MB: MSI, BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. A.60, 12/17/2015
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960, 2Gb
Resolve 18.1.1.0007(Free)

Jim Simon

PostMon Aug 02, 2021 2:22 pm

The biggest mistake I made after switching from Premiere Pro was thinking that my previous experience meant I could just jump into a new NLE without difficulty.

Nope.

Thankfully, BMD has made some really great training resources available for us.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... ning#books

I recommend the Beginner's Guide at the very least, before working on any real projects. Approach it as if you were completely new to editing, as if you'd never used Lightworks. ;)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to DaVinci Resolve