Resolve launches....sometimes

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

roger2004

Resolve launches....sometimes

PostTue Aug 03, 2021 8:26 am

Hi,
recently, Resolve started launching 1 time out of 5, meaning it would display the splash screen and then, nothing. I try a few times and eventually it would display the project page. From there, everything works perfectly fine, but it got worse this morning, as i've managed to launch it one time out of maybe 15 tries, and now that i have to plug again a usb sdd, i quit and can't get it to launch past the splash screen again.

I've read another thread on the subject and already removed the intel graphics display driver via DDU.
I'm on AMD Ryzen 9 CPU with RTX 3090, Studio driver up to date, Resolve up to date too.
I've removed every usb dongle, hard drive i have and only use a wired usb keyboard and mouse instead of my bluetooth ones.

Here are the logs :
https: //drive.google.com/file/d/138fFiAbgTCODOvZQyUOja6gs4dlXu7jx/view?usp=sharing

and system info :
https: //drive.google.com/file/d/1WGsWIC03wS8hTEhR5fpGyJYzVvVk6YsX/view?usp=sharing

Thanks if anybody can help !

My system :
MSI Mag x570 Tomahawk Wifi
Ryzen 9 5960x
32gb RAM DDR4 3600
Win 10 64 Up to date
RTX 3090 with NVIDIA Studio Driver 471.41
Last edited by roger2004 on Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roger2004

Re: Resolve launches....sometimes

PostTue Aug 03, 2021 12:16 pm

Just to add to the conversation,
i managed to launch it with bluetooth keyboard and mouse, ssd usb drive plugged in, and the program when launched works perfectly well.
There seems to be something when it launches that makes it fails 90% of the time.

Thanks if anybody can help...

roger2004

PostSat Aug 07, 2021 2:14 pm

Anybody ?
Have i missed something in the description ?

Jim Simon

PostThu Aug 12, 2021 3:04 pm

You may just have to wait for staff to read the logs.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

John Paines

PostThu Aug 12, 2021 6:22 pm

Disable all but one GPU and try again. That may at least point the way.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Aug 12, 2021 9:00 pm

Strange behavior.

Check in Windows Task Manager - Details tab.

Sort on the Name column and with Resolve not running, look to see if there are any Resolve.exe items in the list.

If there are, right click them and select End Task. Do that for any Resolve.exe items in the list.

Once those are all gone, launch Resolve. Does it work now?
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Igor Riđanović

PostThu Aug 12, 2021 9:05 pm

Check for any disconnected SMB shares. Reconnect them or delete them and try again.
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

roger2004

PostFri Aug 13, 2021 3:30 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Strange behavior.

Check in Windows Task Manager - Details tab.

Sort on the Name column and with Resolve not running, look to see if there are any Resolve.exe items in the list.

If there are, right click them and select End Task. Do that for any Resolve.exe items in the list.

Once those are all gone, launch Resolve. Does it work now?

When i launch Resolve, one process starts, then at the end of the splash screen, a second one appears, and then the two disappear at the same time. No Resolve.exe process ever stays it seems.
And it eventually randomly starts perfectly fine.
Last edited by roger2004 on Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roger2004

PostFri Aug 13, 2021 3:31 pm

Igor Riđanović wrote:Check for any disconnected SMB shares. Reconnect them or delete them and try again.

I just have a Synology Nas that might be used in some projects and goes to sleep sometimes. I'll try accessing it before launching next time i reboot the system, thanks.

roger2004

PostFri Aug 13, 2021 3:34 pm

John Paines wrote:Disable all but one GPU and try again. That may at least point the way.

I'll try disabling the RTX, thanks.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Aug 13, 2021 4:27 pm

You only have 1 GPU. Don't disable the RTX3090.

I want to verify that you are looking at the DETAILS tab of Task Manager? You should not see more than one Resolve.exe app in that tab. I'm not talking about the Processes tab, or the Services tab. Need to look at the Details tab. If you see 2 Resolve.exe things in the Details tab, that would be unexpected. And if you ever see Resolve.exe in the Details tab a few seconds after exiting Resolve, you should End Task on it.

Are you sure you've tried removing all USB devices, except a standard wired keyboard and mouse?

To test, you want no other USB devices connected. No USB hubs. No USB Bluetooth dongles. No USB video capture dongles. No audio headset/mic USB dongles or USB audio devices. No USB web cams or cameras.

Basically, nothing at all other than the keyboard/mouse connected. Exception would be a Resolve USB dongle, if you use one.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Jim Simon

PostFri Aug 13, 2021 6:17 pm

roger2004 wrote:goes to sleep sometimes.
I always advise an edit system run at full power at all times. Disable all Sleep, Hibernate or other Low Power modes for all devices used in the edit bay.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

roger2004

PostSun Aug 15, 2021 1:55 pm

I thought i had motherboard integrated graphics, which i don't, so i won't disable the RTX.

Yes, i did this test, only wired keyboard and mouse, with the same effect.
I had the same ratio of success with wired keyboard and mouse than with bluetooth keyboard and mouse.
My 2 bluetooth keyboards are lagging a lot lately so i went back to wired (i installed the motherboard's manufacturer's BT driver so i don't know where the problem's coming from, maybe there's a link). Currently still using bluetooth mouse, Logitech with unifiying dongle, wired microsoft surface keyboard.

That was the details tab i looked into.

For the NAS, it would have been used to load some media by mistake on my side, i'm using my internal nvme and ssd exclusively otherwise.

Return to DaVinci Resolve