Best way to create and rename subclips?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

thenickj

Best way to create and rename subclips?

PostTue Aug 03, 2021 10:46 pm

I've been scouring the internet and the manual for this info and can't seem to find it anywhere.

I'm going through a bunch of interview footage and creating subclips based on the content. "I" "O" and then ALT+B to create my subclip. However, then I have to grab the mouse, go over to the Media Pool, find the newly created subclip (which is not highlighted), and click on the name, rename it, and then pick back up in the Source Viewer. When you're doing this over and over for hours it adds a LOT of time and wrist strain.

What am I missing? This can't be right. Is there a shortcut to highlight the newly-created subclip? Or a keyboard shortcut to make the Media Pool active so that the newly-created subclip will then highlight? There's just too much back and forth with the mouse in this current workflow and I feel like I'm missing something, but I can't find the info anywhere. If this doesn't exist it feels like a bit of an oops for a company that's so into shortcuts they sell their very own editing keyboard.

Any thoughts? For the record, I'm a huge Resolve fan. I use the Studio version and wouldn't go back to Adobe if you paid me. :lol:
Studio Version 18.6.5, Windows 11, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, 64 GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 4080

TheBloke

Re: Best way to create and rename subclips?

PostWed Aug 04, 2021 2:35 pm

Yeah I think this is a missing optimisation, and a frustrating one.

There's another way to make subclips: via markers. I thought that might provide a working method, as you can add a Duration Marker and name it, then drag them to subclips. If the name of the marker was taken over to the subclip, that might a solution.

But it doesn't use the marker name for the name of the subclip. And even worse, it also adds the markers to the subclips, even when the markers are outside the range of the subclip - and even for the marker that is in the range of the subclip, the timecode is set wrong.

For example, as a test I added two duration markers to a given clip, using shortcuts in the Source Viewer to do so. They can't be exported to subclips from the viewer (another missing feature), but they can later from the Media Pool, where markers are displayed as a sub menu on the clip:

You can then drag those markers to new subclips, but it doesn't affect the name of the resulting subclip, so that's no help for this issue. And then the whole idea of using markers for subclips is made questionable by the fact that all the clip markers get added to ever subclip, even when those markers are outside the subclip range!

The first subclip was made from TestMarker1, and the second from TestMarker2. Both markers are added to both clips, and all the subclip markers have invalid timecode - well beyond the end of the subclip range.
Eg TestMarker1 showing as being from 34:12:22 to 35:22:11 on subclip 1, when that subclip only extends from 17:06:11 to 18:16:00. An annoying bug.

(There's clearly an offset problem going on - 17:06:11 + 17:06:11 = 34:12:22. Likewise the start timecode of Marker1 on subclip 2 - 37:23:23 - is the start TC 20:17:12 plus 17:06:11.)

Definitely room for improvement in this area, and at least one weird bug.
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

John Paines

PostWed Aug 04, 2021 2:41 pm

Subclips have been a long-standing frustration, for reasons detailed above. Here's hoping this one gets attention. It's possible some of this could be automated with a macro, but given the operations involved, not easy..... Duration markers don't really answer the objections.

The obvious approach would be a dialogue which opens with metadata fields, including clip name and destination bin, after alt-b. That at least would save steps.

TheBloke

PostWed Aug 04, 2021 5:02 pm

John Paines wrote:The obvious approach would be a dialogue which opens with metadata fields, including clip name and destination bin, after alt-b. That at least would save steps.
Yeah that'd work fine.

There's already an Edit Subclip menu, so all it would take would be to add a Clip Name field to that dialogue, then provide a new assignable shortcut for "Add and Modify Subclip" - following the convention of the "Add and Modify Marker" shortcut we already have. That would allow creating subclips with and without the dialogue, depending on the shortcut used.

A Bin selector on the dialogue would be nice, although I can see that being unwieldy in projects with hundreds of bins. Currently the destination bin is whatever bin was last active in the Media Pool, and that's worked out OK for me personally thus far.
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

thenickj

PostThu Sep 02, 2021 11:44 pm

They did it! They did it in the update! Now when you create a subclip it automatically asks for the name! THANK YOU BLACKMAGIC!!!! THANK YOU!!!!
Studio Version 18.6.5, Windows 11, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, 64 GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 4080

Return to DaVinci Resolve