Install questions

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Newbyforfun

Install questions

PostWed Aug 04, 2021 3:40 pm

I have used a couple very basic video editing software to create content and would like to improve on my end results with a more competent tool. I am completely new to DaVinci Resolve. I found one on line tutorial showing the installation process for Resolve 17. It seemed very straight forward but when I started to install Resolve the installation procedure varied from the on line tutorial. The intall process was asking for special network permissions and the software wanted to setup a tcpip address and connection to the router.
Could anyone tell me why Resolve needs its own IP address? What type of activity does it do with this address? Why does it need special network permissions? When I cancelled the request for a IP address then the software would not start. When I attempted to run it the executable kept telling me the software was not installed? I have googled for information on this but most info is all about the running of Resolve. I see many of the posting on this forum are for much more advanced topics than I am looking to work with. Any info on my questions or directions to find a resource so I don't need to bother anyone would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jim Simon

Re: Install questions

PostThu Aug 05, 2021 2:55 pm

Sounds like you're trying to install the Project Sever rather than Resolve.

You've downloaded Resolve from the BMD web site?

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Charles Bennett

PostThu Aug 05, 2021 4:40 pm

Either one of these is what you should be downloading and installing.
Versions.jpg
Versions.jpg (335.46 KiB) Viewed 951 times

Also to consider, does your computer meet the minimum required specs?
17.2.2 System Requirements.jpg
17.2.2 System Requirements.jpg (107.97 KiB) Viewed 949 times
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (546.01 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Newbyforfun

PostWed Aug 11, 2021 7:27 pm

I have sourced the install program from the attached page.

black magic download page.jpg

I had removed all the original install and now have re-installed the second downloaded software. When I go to launch Resolve I only have DaVinci Control Panel, Blackmagic RAW player, and Fairlight Studio Utility to start up. I do not have an option to start up any type of a executable that seems to be for the Resolve software. I can find a Resolve.exe under C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve. When I run the executable, the Resolve editing software launches and I can load media into it. So that does seem to be working. Even thought it was not placed into Startup Menu. I am not sure what the DaVinci Control Panel, Blackmagic RAW player, and Fairlight Studio Utility are for. and Control Panel is the one that is looking for a TCPIP address.
So I will start looking at tutorials on operating DaVinci and go from there. Thank you for any replies to my questions. Have a great day.

Charles Bennett

PostThu Aug 12, 2021 1:01 am

I'm guessing you are using Windows. Resolve should show in Programs and Features.
P and F.jpg
P and F.jpg (133.46 KiB) Viewed 861 times

Jim has given you the download page address which is what is shown in my pic.
When installed correctly and run as Administrator you will have a desktop icon to run Resolve from.
Desktop Icom.jpg
Desktop Icom.jpg (5.11 KiB) Viewed 856 times
Last edited by Charles Bennett on Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (546.01 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

roger.magnusson

PostThu Aug 12, 2021 1:06 am

If the user account that installs Resolve is not an administrator account the start menu icons aren't installed.

Return to DaVinci Resolve