Difference betewen Cut and Edit timelines?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

InfiniteLove

Difference betewen Cut and Edit timelines?

PostThu Aug 05, 2021 1:12 am

Is there supposed to be a difference between my cut and edit timelines? Did I press a key to accidentally make them show different things? How do I get them to sync / show the same content?

Also, when I click 'A2' on my second audio track it changes the label to A1. Is this desired behavior?

Here's of video of the things I'm seeing:

Thanks for your help :)
Running DaVinci Resolve Studio v17.4.5 build 7 (Windows/MSVC x86_64)
Windows 10 Pro x64
Intel Core i9-9900K CPU @ 3.6GHz
32 GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200MHz
RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB

Jim Simon

Re: Difference betewen Cut and Edit timelines?

PostThu Aug 05, 2021 2:43 pm

The top A1 is the track name.

The bottom A1 is the Track Destination Selection.

This is normal.

If you had A3 as the TDS it would also read as A1.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

InfiniteLove

PostThu Aug 05, 2021 5:13 pm

Jim Simon wrote:The top A1 is the track name.

The bottom A1 is the Track Destination Selection.

This is normal.

If you had A3 as the TDS it would also read as A1.

So in this image, A1 is selected then?
track selection.png
track selection.png (10.2 KiB) Viewed 560 times

So, then what is selected in this image?
track selection 2.png
track selection 2.png (7.67 KiB) Viewed 560 times

I'm trying to figure out how I append to the Main Audio track. In fact, there should only be 1 audio track. I keep deleting the second audio track because I don't need it, but when I hit the append button it keeps adding it back and appending the clip to that one instead of the main audio track... :(
Windows 10 Pro x64
32 GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200MHz
RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB

Jim Simon

PostThu Aug 05, 2021 8:10 pm

A1 is the Track Destination Selection in the top image. Inserts, Overwrites and Appends will occur on A1.

A2 is the Track Destination Selection in the bottom image. Inserts, Overwrites and Appends will occur on A2.

Your Video Track Destination Selection will also come into play, so pay attention to that as well.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

InfiniteLove

PostThu Aug 05, 2021 11:52 pm

Jim Simon wrote:A1 is the Track Destination Selection in the top image. Inserts, Overwrites and Appends will occur on A1.

A2 is the Track Destination Selection in the bottom image. Inserts, Overwrites and Appends will occur on A2.

Your Video Track Destination Selection will also come into play, so pay attention to that as well.

Thanks. Everything seems to work fine (adding clips with 'APPEND') from the EDIT page. But I'm at a loss where track 'A2' is on the CUT page. Did I accidentally hide it or something? I tried scrolling, mousewheel, etc. there seems to be nothing below A1. And yet somehow (in the CUT page) when I use APPEND it adds the clip to A2 (I can only confirm by going to the EDIT page). Do all audio tracks get shown on the CUT page? I notice when I mute 'A1' it mutes A2 when I check the EDIT page...

cut-page-a2-missing.png
cut-page-a2-missing.png (27.08 KiB) Viewed 519 times
Windows 10 Pro x64
32 GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200MHz
RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB

Peter Cave

PostFri Aug 06, 2021 1:36 am

The Cut page has a very different way of displaying the timeline. It's worth reading up on how the Cut page is intended to operate as it does not edit in the same way as the Edit page. I never use the Cut page because I find it really clunky and unnecessary. I also find the Append function to be too limited to use for anything other than simple clip compiles.
Resolve 18.6.5 Mac OSX 14.4 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

InfiniteLove

PostFri Aug 06, 2021 5:29 am

Peter Cave wrote:The Cut page has a very different way of displaying the timeline. It's worth reading up on how the Cut page is intended to operate as it does not edit in the same way as the Edit page. I never use the Cut page because I find it really clunky and unnecessary. I also find the Append function to be too limited to use for anything other than simple clip compiles.

Thanks, will do. I watched several different YouTube tutorials on Resolve but they probably skipped over a lot of subtle but important details. Jim Simon recommended these guides which I'll definitely be checking out to refine my knowledge, but if you have any other suggestions I'll be glad to take a look. Thanks :)
Windows 10 Pro x64
32 GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200MHz
RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB

Charles Bennett

PostFri Aug 06, 2021 7:13 am

Have a look at the section in the Resolve manual starting on page 524. You also may find this video helpful.
Last edited by Charles Bennett on Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (546.01 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

TheBloke

PostFri Aug 06, 2021 7:17 am

I never use the Cut page - for the reasons Peter mentions - but I had a quick look in the manual, and it appears that Cut combines audio and video together. From the manual:

Resolve v17 manual page 420 wrote:Tracks
The Timeline is divided into multiple tracks, with each track capable of holding a sequence of clips in order to create a program. The main tracks, which are labeled numerically, combine a clip’s video and audio into a single item in the Timeline, for simplicity. Editing the In or Out point of a clip edits the video and audio together.

Track 1 shows combined Video+Audio tracks in the Cut page Timeline.

TIP: In the Edit page, Video+Audio clips are presented as separated Video and Audio items on different tracks. When you open the Fairlight page, audio is presented on tracks with lanes, where each audio channel can be seen. In this way, each page gives you different sets of controls over the contents of the Timeline that are appropriate for each page.

So I think you'll only see a separate audio track on Cut when you add audio-only media. Whenever you add video with integrated audio, it'll appear only as a video track.
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

InfiniteLove

PostSat Aug 07, 2021 1:03 am

Charles Bennett wrote:Have a look at the section in the Resolve manual starting on page 524. You also may find this video helpful.

That was actually quite useful, thanks. :D

TheBloke wrote:I never use the Cut page - for the reasons Peter mentions - but I had a quick look in the manual, and it appears that Cut combines audio and video together. From the manual:

Resolve v17 manual page 420 wrote:Tracks
The Timeline is divided into multiple tracks, with each track capable of holding a sequence of clips in order to create a program. The main tracks, which are labeled numerically, combine a clip’s video and audio into a single item in the Timeline, for simplicity. Editing the In or Out point of a clip edits the video and audio together.

Track 1 shows combined Video+Audio tracks in the Cut page Timeline.

TIP: In the Edit page, Video+Audio clips are presented as separated Video and Audio items on different tracks. When you open the Fairlight page, audio is presented on tracks with lanes, where each audio channel can be seen. In this way, each page gives you different sets of controls over the contents of the Timeline that are appropriate for each page.

So I think you'll only see a separate audio track on Cut when you add audio-only media. Whenever you add video with integrated audio, it'll appear only as a video track.

Ahh, I see. Thanks for the tip. :)
Windows 10 Pro x64
32 GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200MHz
RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB

Return to DaVinci Resolve