Move clips between timelines

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

secomagic

Move clips between timelines

PostThu Aug 05, 2021 3:26 am

Just wondering what the easiest way to move clips between two timelines would be. I use both Resolve and Premiere, and I got used to opening two timelines in separate panels in premiere, and then I can just drag from one to the next, and it automatically copies it over. I greatly prefer it to the copy paste method, because I have easier control over what track it lands on, and it's instant, so I can continually move several b roll clips to multiple spots in my timeline very quickly.

I know I shouldn't expect Resolve to behave like premiere, just wondering if there's anything easier than copying from one timeline, switching to another, clicking the correct track, and pasting. Then doing it again for every clip and location. Those extra seconds add up pretty quickly.

Thank you

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

Re: Move clips between timelines

PostThu Aug 05, 2021 3:38 am

Same. Turn on stacked timelines, load source and target timelines appropriately and drag over.

secomagic

PostThu Aug 05, 2021 4:18 am

I'm sorry, but could you explain how you use the stacked timelines a bit more in depth? I've been playing with them for over an hour, and looking up whatever tutorials I can find and can't figure out a way to drag over the way you described.

secomagic

PostThu Aug 05, 2021 4:21 am

Nevermind, I finally figured it out. When you're in stacked timeline, there is a small plus button at the top right of your timeline viewer that allows you to do what I've been trying to do this whole time. I appreciate the response, it led me to the answer. Thank you.

Mark Foster

PostThu Aug 05, 2021 10:57 am

secomagic wrote:I'm sorry, but could you explain how you use the stacked timelines a bit more in depth? I've been playing with them for over an hour, and looking up whatever tutorials I can find and can't figure out a way to drag over the way you described.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... e/training
cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

Return to DaVinci Resolve