Render in place files disconnect

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Michael Parfit

Render in place files disconnect

PostThu Aug 05, 2021 7:04 am

Seems like a bug

I use Render in Place a lot. Or, I should say, I did.

Recently I used it on a timeline extensively, because I had to change all the clips in the same way, and there were various clip sources. Rendering in Place helps playback a lot.

1. I rendered about 50 clips at once, which I could see happening in the progress bar. But the new clips never appeared on the timeline. The originals remained. The clips were there in the Render in Place directory I've been using, but they did not connect after the render.

2. When I did a smaller render the clips did connect, but when I came back to the timeline after a computer shutdown for a period of hours, all of the Render in Place clips showed media offline. Scary big red swatch on the timeline. Again, the clips were still there in the directory but had not reconnected. Unfortunately, an attempt to relink the clips, as I would with other clips that had gone offline, did not work. Fortunately, though the clips showed offline, I was able to decompose as a batch and get the originals back quickly.

Anyone else having this problem? Any ideas how to avoid it? I like Render in Place and would like to continue to use it, but not like this.

Mac mini M1 (2020)
16GB
Big Sur 11.4
Resolve 17.2.2

Jim Simon

Re: Render in place files disconnect

PostThu Aug 05, 2021 2:32 pm

I haven't seen this happen myself, but I've never processed more than a couple clips at a time.

The location for RiP is an internal drive?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Michael Parfit

PostThu Aug 05, 2021 5:27 pm

It's a thunderbolt drive pretty much permanently connected.

Render in Place has worked fine in the past. I have been using it successfully to change frame rates because my project uses a lot of different sources of material, and fixing the frame rate is good with optical flow. I can't figure out why it just started happening. It was working fine with 17.2.2 before. It may simply be that I've started using too many files in the batch. I'm going to keep trying.

Jim Simon

PostThu Aug 05, 2021 8:07 pm

I always advise working from Internal drives only.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to DaVinci Resolve