How to blend/comp isolated regions between video tracks

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

samlivingstone

How to blend/comp isolated regions between video tracks

PostThu Aug 05, 2021 7:59 am

How can I blend/comp isolated regions between two video tracks? The isolation needs to be done using a shape or a qualifier (keyer).

As a concrete example, lets say I have two identical clips, one is the source and the other has noise reduction and other effects applied. However, some objects in the picture look over processed and I would like to selectively blend those objects with the source to recover details. I know how to create a shape or qualifier (keyer) in the Colour page, and I have some idea how to use the comp in the Edit page. I just cannot work out how to combine both of these to achieve the above result.

If someone knows how to do this I'd be grateful for a step by step guide. Thanks.

Jim Simon

Re: How to blend/comp isolated regions between video tracks

PostThu Aug 05, 2021 2:29 pm

I think my approach would be to use Power Windows for the NR.

In two nodes, create the same Power Window for the object in question, one inside and one outside. This would allow you to set the NR for the object and the rest of the scene separately.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

samlivingstone

PostThu Aug 05, 2021 2:46 pm

Hi Jim,

NR is not the question, it's more about how to comp/blend isolated regions between two video tracks.

Sam

Jim Simon

PostThu Aug 05, 2021 2:48 pm

Maybe I read the original question wrong. That happens sometimes.

But it seems like you're looking to use the 'blend' to achieve a goal, and I was suggesting a different way to achieve that same goal.

Or did I not understand that goal correctly? That object has too much NR on it?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

samlivingstone

PostThu Aug 05, 2021 8:51 pm

I don't think power windows will work for highly complex objects where a keyer is better suited. Also, the two videos I have have come from another software package and not resolve.

Maybe, ignore the example using NR as that might be too specific.

What I would like to do is select parts of the video using a keyer and then blend (eg change opacity) the selected region with another video underneath. There must be a way?!

TheBloke

PostThu Aug 05, 2021 9:11 pm

This is easy to do in Fusion using Merge nodes with a Blend parameter - and many more options besides for fine control of the composite. It has many keying options as well. It's a full VFX compositing system.

So that'd definitely be my choice if your effects are coming in already rendered as video footage, and you then want to composite it in Resolve.

If you're arranging your imported clips on a timeline, you can then group one or more layers of that timeline into into a Fusion Clip, and create a Fusion composition on that Fusion Clip. That allows Fusion to access each video layer via separate MediaIn nodes - allowing you full control over how those layers are composited.

Alternatively, in situations where you don't also need to arrange your imported media on a timeline first, you can drag one or more clips directly from the Media Pool into a Fusion Composition, creating one MediaIn node per clip,

If you're a Resolve Studio user there's also the option of using the standalone Fusion Studio, available for free to all Resolve Studio users. That may be best for dedicated VFX compositing work as it tends to be more performant and stable than the Fusion integrated into Resolve, and has a more flexible UI. Studio can either import your media directly, or if you want to keep it on a Resolve timeline, there's another Resolve clip type, the VFX Connect clip, that automates the transfer of media between Resolve and Fusion Studio.

Or - if the effects you describe are *not* coming in already produced, and you're actually doing them in Resolve on the Color page, then the Color page provides the Layer Mixer node which has an opacity control, and options for the composite mode used. Check pages 2816 onwards in the v17 Resolve manual for more details of the Layer Mixer node in Color.

If you want to look at Fusion, there's extensive documentation in the manual, plus training videos and book, and quite a number of YouTube tutorials available. Also check out Bryan Ray's book, available for free on the web.
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

Dermot Shane

PostThu Aug 05, 2021 10:27 pm

i use the layer mixer node in the color page
same blend options
vastly faster

samlivingstone

PostFri Aug 06, 2021 10:59 am

Thanks Tom, a really comprehensive answer that solved my problem. Much appreciated!

samlivingstone

PostFri Aug 06, 2021 11:00 am

Hi Dermot - I saw this after Toms solution, but thanks as great to have options!

Return to DaVinci Resolve