Importing XDCAM and other sony camera media

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

MysteryKe

Importing XDCAM and other sony camera media

PostThu Aug 05, 2021 10:12 am

We're transferring XDCAM media files (XDCAM EX .MP4) from SxS cards with Sony Content browser to a network shared folder. Now we can import they to Adobe Premiere Pro through the Media Browser-tab and its keeps the original camera timecodes. It's useful for us (editors), especially when we have to syncing them to a multicam sequence. How can i do this with the DaVinci Resolve Studio 17? If i browsing the main folder of the original media, then i'm seeing the separated folders of the media files, not only the media files, like the Premiere. And how i can keep the original camera timecode after import? We're also using .MXF based Sony cameras.

mpetech

Re: Importing XDCAM and other sony camera media

PostThu Aug 05, 2021 1:48 pm

MysteryKe wrote:We're transferring XDCAM media files (XDCAM EX .MP4) from SxS cards with Sony Content browser to a network shared folder. Now we can import they to Adobe Premiere Pro through the Media Browser-tab and its keeps the original camera timecodes. It's useful for us (editors), especially when we have to syncing them to a multicam sequence. How can i do this with the DaVinci Resolve Studio 17? If i browsing the main folder of the original media, then i'm seeing the separated folders of the media files, not only the media files, like the Premiere. And how i can keep the original camera timecode after import? We're also using .MXF based Sony cameras.

Are you maintaining the camera's original folder structure? You have to retain the folder structure, all media, and ancillary files.

Jim Simon

PostThu Aug 05, 2021 1:50 pm

To put Dom's suggestion in other words - always copy the entire SxS card, and never move, delete or rename any of it's contents.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Steve Alexander

PostThu Aug 05, 2021 1:58 pm

I've had the same question regarding Sony's XAVC-L footage from my X70 camera. In some NLEs it recognizes this packaging and doesn't require the user to drill down to the actual media folder - it presents the content at a much higher level. Does Resolve offer this feature?
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

MysteryKe

PostWed Aug 11, 2021 2:22 pm

mpetech wrote:
MysteryKe wrote:We're transferring XDCAM media files (XDCAM EX .MP4) from SxS cards with Sony Content browser to a network shared folder. Now we can import they to Adobe Premiere Pro through the Media Browser-tab and its keeps the original camera timecodes. It's useful for us (editors), especially when we have to syncing them to a multicam sequence. How can i do this with the DaVinci Resolve Studio 17? If i browsing the main folder of the original media, then i'm seeing the separated folders of the media files, not only the media files, like the Premiere. And how i can keep the original camera timecode after import? We're also using .MXF based Sony cameras.

Are you maintaining the camera's original folder structure? You have to retain the folder structure, all media, and ancillary files.

The Sony Content Browser is keeping the original folder structure. Sometimes the cameramans recording multiple stuffs to one memory card, so we have to reorganize them when we're transferring the SxS cards to the network shared folder. With the Sony Content Browser can do this so easy while it's keeping the original folder structure. (subfolders, .xml files... etc.)

jf_blanco

PostWed Aug 03, 2022 1:04 pm

Same here but in Resolve Studio 18 I don't see the way to get spanned splitted mp4 of a long shooting showed as one single clip.

Jim Simon

PostThu Aug 04, 2022 2:42 pm

Use the Media Storage panel on the Media page for all Import operations, JF.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to DaVinci Resolve