more options for auto sync?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Rick van den Berg

PostThu Aug 05, 2021 4:20 pm

I'm having a hard time with the auto-sync function. I mostly use embedded audio when editing, so this is kind of a new experience to me.

i have +- 100 externally recorded audio clips (9channel), to link with +- 100 video clips (2channel audio coming from the camera mic). The audio from the camera mic is sounding crystal clear, seems nothing wrong with it.

When i select both the video and audio clips, and auto sync them based on waveform (append), i expect every video clip to eventually have 11 audio channels linked to it. (the 9 from the external clips, plus the 2 of the already embedded audio)

instead, some clips end up with 30 channels, some with 24, another with 72, another with 85, etc. a lot of clearly wrong sounding audio clips all get piled up for some reason. It's not like the waveforms are similar. not even close. However, the right audio clip is also linked for each video clip. So in a way it did it's job. but it's a mess.

What did i do wrong?

I can figure out which channels are correctly linked, and go to each clip attribute window, and delete all the wrong audio. But imagine doing that with each clip, with 50 channels average, with no options to select a range of them and delete them at once. It will defeat the "auto" part. Is there a way around it?

Rick van den Berg

Re: more options for auto sync?

PostSat Aug 07, 2021 12:00 pm

bump

Rick van den Berg

PostMon Aug 09, 2021 8:22 pm

Come on people, help this fellow Davinciresolver out!

Jason Conrad

PostWed Aug 11, 2021 3:36 am

Are you configuring the audio channels before you sync? Right click on a batch selection, get clip attributes, and make sure the channel assignments are right fist.

Also, it helps to work in small batches at a time. Resolve’s waveform matching threshold is low, so you’ll end up with some matches that are completely wrong. If you can work on one scene at a time, you’ll have fewer false positive matches.

In the cases where you see far too many tracks, it’s probably found more than one false positive, and stacked them together. If you sort the media pool by number of audio channels, these will stand out as mistaken matches. Just unlink them and either try again in a smaller batch or sync them by hand. Sorting by timecode offset also helps identify outliers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
-MacBook Pro (14,3) i7 2.9 GHz 16 GB, Intel 630, AMD 560 x1
-[DR 17.0 Beta9]

Rick van den Berg

PostThu Aug 12, 2021 2:59 pm

Hm. Well, i tried smaller batches. but even with only 5 video/audio clips selected it went nuts. The channels are properly configured it seems.

It's weird, this way it has no use at all for me. can't this threshold be adjusted?

I think i heard there was external software for this, i just forgot the name. I might want to give that a try.

Frank Engel

PostThu Aug 12, 2021 8:25 pm

Interesting. It hadn't occurred to me to try syncing multiple clips at once in Resolve, only to do it clip by clip to match up the audio correctly.

Meanwhile, the "external" software you are looking for is PluralEyes, but it is not cheap.

Rick van den Berg

PostMon Aug 16, 2021 6:25 pm

ah yes, pluraleyes. Guess i'm gonna give that a try

Uli Plank

PostMon Aug 16, 2021 6:36 pm

AFAIK, there's a 10 days demo.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Jason Conrad

PostMon Aug 23, 2021 12:55 am

Rick van den Berg wrote:
It's weird, this way it has no use at all for me. can't this threshold be adjusted?

Unfortunately, no. Though that’d be a good feature request. The manual does say something to the effect that the tracks should be nearly identical. In my experience, the difference between a shotgun mic and onboard camera reference audio is enough to give it trouble… which does sort of defeat the whole purpose.

I’ve always considered it to be a free version of plouraleyes, so even if it fails 20% of the time, you have to ask yourself if fixing those clips manually in Resolve is more work than roundtripping to outside software plus the monetary cost of licensing… It might be worth it, I dunno, I’ve never bothered. Plouraleyes has been around for a long time though, so they must be doin something right.

I think for my money, I’d rather buy a tentacle, but that’s only because I’m usually close enough to the productions I’m editing that I can get the sound and camera guys to use it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
-MacBook Pro (14,3) i7 2.9 GHz 16 GB, Intel 630, AMD 560 x1
-[DR 17.0 Beta9]

Return to DaVinci Resolve