Converting 60fps to 30fps

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

jrphotoart

Converting 60fps to 30fps

PostSat Aug 21, 2021 10:40 pm

I just saw a great video on YouTube by Nathan Cool, renowned real estate photography teacher. He discussed how to take 60fps video for real estate walkthroughs, and put them into a 30fps timeline using Premier Pro. There is a way to have Premier Pro "Interpret" the 60fps clips as 30fps footage. This apparently keeps you from losing quality of the footage, rather than just popping the 60fps clips onto a 30fps timeline. His technique is used to smooth out the movements in a walkthrough video. Does DaVinci Resolve have a similar function? I would appreciate some expert guidance in how to accomplish this. Thank you.

RCModelReviews

Re: Converting 60fps to 30fps

PostSat Aug 21, 2021 11:30 pm

When I need to use some higher framerate video on a lower framerate timeline, and retain the actual speed of the original footage then where the difference is a simple multiple (such as 60/30 or 50/25) I just drop the video on and take a look at the results first.

If it looks okay (usually when the footage contains relatively little movement) then all good.

If it looks kind of stoccato due to the fact that higher framerate footage will not have a 180 degree shutter angle on a half-rate timeline, I sometimes add a bit of motion blur on the color page. Unfortunately Resolve's motion-blur is pretty rudimentary but it's often "good enough".

I've never played with using optical flow in this situation and don't know if it actually has any effect when dropping 60FPS on a 30FPS timeline but it might be worth investigating that also.

I should imagine that playing the 60FPS footage back at 30FPS would be a much better way to "smooth" things. In that case, just select the "Clip Attributes" and change the FPS from 60 to 30, whereapon it will play at half-speed on the timeline. Comments regarding motion-blur still apply.

However, I'm no expert so my comments are worth no more than you have paid for them :-)
Last edited by RCModelReviews on Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resolve 18.1 Studio, Fusion 9 Studio
CPU: i7 8700, OS: Windows 10 32GB RAM, GPU: RTX3060
I'm refugee from Sony Vegas slicing video for my YouTube channels.

Mike Warren

PostSat Aug 21, 2021 11:32 pm

Sounds like it's just being slowed to half speed.

In Resolve, right-click on the 60fps clip in the media pool and select Clip Attributes...

Then change the frame rate from 60 to 30 (or 59.94 to 29.97).

When you then place the clip on a 30 fps (29.97) timeline every frame will play back so the clip will last twice as long and movements will be smoothed out because it's half speed slow motion.
Resolve Studio 17.4.6 - Fusion Studio 17.2.2 - Windows 10
Gigabyte GTX1080ti 11GB - AMD 1950X - 64GB 2400
Gigabyte X399 AORUS Gaming 7
Intensity Pro 4k
Presonus 192 Audio Interface
Separate M.2 SSDs for OS and Resolve Cache

Jim Simon

PostSun Aug 22, 2021 5:58 pm

Another option to consider is actually shooting in slow motion. Some cameras (like Blackmagick's own) can record in off-speed frame rates so that those clips come into your software already slowed down (or sped up, if desired).
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to DaVinci Resolve