Native Linux audio recording support using ALSA inputs!

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

sg_x_2

Native Linux audio recording support using ALSA inputs!

PostThu Aug 26, 2021 9:44 pm

I just upgraded to 17.3 on my Linux system and was excited to find this in the release notes:

Native Linux audio recording support using ALSA inputs.

Wow! So, I fired up a new project, dropped in an Adjustment clip (so I had an available but empty audio track), and rushed into the Fairlight tab. I patched the ALSA inputs into track 1. I armed the track, crossed my fingers and pressed record.

No waveform. No audio.

I opened Audacity and made sure audio was working (which it was), and went back to Resolve, trying every patch option I could poke at. Nothing.

I feel like I'm missing something -- are there any instructions for getting this going? I've been waiting for this for years, and was excited to see it!

S

Thomas Lombard

Re: Native Linux audio recording support using ALSA inputs!

PostSat Aug 28, 2021 8:40 am

It's working, i tested with ubuntu 20.04 and zorin16

Check inside the project setting, if the capture/record folder is maybe empty :ugeek: and change the folder, because it's maybe a writing right problem.
TooM
Multi (x9)PC WorkStation - LinuxOS (Ubuntu 22.04 LTS)
OMV 10 Gbps NAS server - All PC WorkStation 2,5Gbps - PostgreSQL Collaboration
http://k-prod.fr - Vidéo Edition Agency

sg_x_2

PostSat Aug 28, 2021 5:25 pm

Thomas Lombard wrote:It's working, i tested with ubuntu 20.04 and zorin16

Check inside the project setting, if the capture/record folder is maybe empty :ugeek: and change the folder, because it's maybe a writing right problem.

Good to hear it's working for you!

Great idea to check the Capture folder. It's set, and I looked in the folder and there are files there -- but there's no audio signal in them (I opened them in Audacity - flat line).

Perhaps I'm not setting up the patching properly. How did you set yours up?

sg_x_2

PostThu Sep 16, 2021 9:28 pm

Well, I have good news for anyone having similar trouble to what I have been describing as I have gotten things going!

System: Fedora 34 (with Pipewire)
DR Version: 17.3.2

1) Install alsa-plugins-pulseaudio (I have not needed this in the past but it's important here, evidently)
2) Create a file called /etc/asound.conf with the following content:
pcm.!default pulse
ctl.!default pulse
3) Restart alsactl (or reboot)
4) It works!

This also fixed a problem (perhaps it fixed it, not sure, I was having the problem before the mic fix and now it's gone) where the audio was severely lagging the video during editing.

I now need to figure out how to prevent the audio from coming out of the speakers while recording on the mic!

Return to DaVinci Resolve