wave form not showing

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

afrosippi

wave form not showing

PostFri Aug 27, 2021 4:22 pm

By research not a new topic. Wave files in the timeline will not show the graph. Tried all the 'fixes', nothing. It has rendered Davinci unuasable. Up to this point in time I loved this program - Resolve Studio 17. i am very disappointed. This should be a easy fix. If it is a bug, fix it Davinci. This sucks!

Charles Bennett

Re: wave form not showing

PostFri Aug 27, 2021 8:12 pm

Not a bug here. These are my settings for waveforms which have always worked without fail. Do your audio tracks have enough height? If not then the waveform will not show until you increase it.
Attachments
Audio Waveforms.jpg
Audio Waveforms.jpg (203.34 KiB) Viewed 19351 times
Resolve Studio 19.0b build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Bink19th

PostMon Oct 18, 2021 11:31 pm

I had the same issue, and it wasn't a simple case of toggling waveform visibility settings as they were already on. No amount of restarting, rebooting, waiting, scrubbing, seemed to fix it.

What fixed it for me, was closing Davinci Resolve, then deleting the entire contents of Resolve's cache folder. Started up Davinci Resolve again and after a moment, the waveforms appeared. Fixed.

If deleting the contents of a folder is required to fix it, I'd put that down as a bug.
Ryzen 9 5900X 64GB RAM, NVidia RTX A4000, EndeavourOS
Davinci Resolve Studio 18.1.4 BUILD 9

RokasTT

PostFri Dec 16, 2022 9:55 am

Same issue in Resolve 18 Studio. Some audio tracks show waveform, others randomly don't. Tried to clean cache - didn't help. All clips are enabled.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (286.75 KiB) Viewed 18181 times

OBDGAMES

PostSat Jan 07, 2023 7:17 pm

Having exactly the same issue, have reached out to BM but 3 weeks later had no reply. Such a shame as this is a decent piece of software apart from this utterly ruinous bug.

Philipp Hönig

PostWed Jan 11, 2023 6:53 am

RokasTT wrote:Same issue in Resolve 18 Studio. Some audio tracks show waveform, others randomly don't. Tried to clean cache - didn't help. All clips are enabled.

Exact same issue here. I was only able to solve it by deleting the cache. Clearly a bug.

John Lewis

PostWed Jan 11, 2023 7:00 am

I also deleted all cache and set cache to none instead of smart.
I9 9900k, 32mb Ram, GTX1070Ti, IP4K, ZE1OI, Bcf2000, Loupedeck CT, Resolve 18.64 SpeedEditor

montybaxter

PostThu Jan 12, 2023 10:37 am

Same issue. Cache deleted, set to none. Waveforms still don't load and the audio stutters.

First long-form project working on Resolve Studio (previously Prem Pro) so this is frustrating as I've paid for the software and done the assembly already. Any update on when this bug might be fixed?
Mac Studio (2022) Apple M1 Max | 32GB | macOS Monterey

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jan 13, 2023 1:24 pm

Do u have a SSD listed as the first drive in preferences, system, media storage?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

herein2020

PostTue Jan 17, 2023 12:22 am

Same problem here, never had this before today. Missing waveforms for Canon raw C70 footage. I tried deleting the entire cache folder, I also tried turning off and on the waveform display; still no waveforms in the Edit page. After deleting the cache folder I have waveforms in the Fairlight page, but nothing will get them back in the Edit page.

Edit Page
Davinci_Resolve_MissingWaveforms-Edit.JPG
Davinci_Resolve_MissingWaveforms-Edit.JPG (100.94 KiB) Viewed 17623 times

Fairlight
Davinci_Resolve_MissingWaveforms-Fairlight.JPG
Davinci_Resolve_MissingWaveforms-Fairlight.JPG (101.9 KiB) Viewed 17623 times

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Do u have a SSD listed as the first drive in preferences, system, media storage?

I do have a RAID 1 SSD array listed there under media storage. All I have in my system is SSDs and NVME storage.
DR: 18.6.4 BUILD 19 Studio
CPU: Core i9-13900K 24 Cores@3.0GHz, 128GB of RAM
GPU: RTX 4080
Drives: NVME OS Drive, NVME RAID Array, NVME Cache Drive
Project Media: H.265 10 Bit 4:2:2 | Canon XF-AVC | Cinema Raw LT

RSVideos

PostTue Jan 17, 2023 9:33 pm

I am trying to move to DaVinci resolve Studio 18.1 Studio version. I had been using another NLE all these years.

I am having this very same issue with the very first clip imported.
- Not getting resolved with track re-sizing or view options. I have tried all those and more from various Youtube and other tutorials.
- Deleting the cache not helping either.
- The clip is coming from BMPCC 4K camera

After trying cache/folder deletion a few times, first few seconds of the audio waveform is now visible (which was not visible earlier), but not the rest.

Big frustration.. Hope there is some solution before I get fed up and return to my old software !!
Attachments
Picture1.png
Picture1.png (228.4 KiB) Viewed 17514 times

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jan 18, 2023 12:30 pm

Ravi, do you have a SSD listed as the first drive in the preferences, system, media storage?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

ReneRotterdam

PostWed Jan 18, 2023 1:34 pm

Hey

Waveforms , particularly the not showing up part of them, are occasionally problematic. And a persistent bug in Resolve.

What works for me lately (Studio 17.4.6) is cutting an audio track in half (Blade tool or whatever) and miraculously the waveform appears.

Definitively a bug, but whatever helps.

(Working on a longform docu 30+ TB and seperate multitrack audio files)
Rene A. Hazekamp

HP Z840 // 2x E2680v4 // RTX 4070 // Studio 18.5.1
Macbook air M1

ReneRotterdam

PostWed Jan 18, 2023 1:42 pm

Maybe interesting, (probably not)

But I have these kind of problems with separate ssd drives for proxies, audio files and render caches.
The video masters are on an external raid (and backups on internal rust spinners)

Enfin,

I hope someone can make this waveform mess disappear. Or rather make the waveforms appear.
Rene A. Hazekamp

Macbook air M1

Jim Simon

PostWed Jan 18, 2023 2:40 pm

I find everything just works better when you only use internal drives for working, Rene.

Save the externals for backups and archiving.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

ReneRotterdam

PostWed Jan 18, 2023 3:01 pm

Jan, the audio, the proxy files, and the caches and system are all on separate internal ssd drives.
-I've 5 internal ssd drives and 4 hdds-

I can perfectly edit this project and projects without firing up my external raid ( as long as I work with the 1080p proxies) . I keep the masters externally to be able to switch projects or computers).
Working for television I also need 3 backups and be able to switch when there is trouble. (Office burning down or whatever

The same waveform problems persist whether I use the internal or external masters files.

And like I said often my waveforms appear when I cut an audio track in the middle.
A weird solution to an annoying problem (bug)
Rene A. Hazekamp

Macbook air M1

RSVideos

PostFri Jan 20, 2023 2:06 am

Update on my issue :
I do have a SSD path in the preferences (as my media are in a SSD) for proxy creation.

Short of uninstalling/re-installing Resolve, I deleted everything and started from scratch one step at a time. Imported the media files one by one, created proxies one by one etc.. checking for audio waveforms integrity at every step. As of now, I have all media files in and all audio waveforms are visible. Hope it stays that way as I try editing steps. Other than saying 'probably something was corrupted', I have no idea what the root cause was and how to prevent this next time in a new project..

herein2020

PostFri Jan 20, 2023 3:43 pm

Ok, so I didn't do anything except continue working with the project and the waveforms suddenly appeared. I had given up on seeing them in the Edit page, but over the last few days I switched to other projects, restarted Davinci Resolve a few times, etc. just normal stuff and today I noticed the waveforms were visible in the Edit page.

Very annoying to say the least. I don't use any external storage. I have not changed my HW setup or Davinci Resolve configuration in at least 3yrs. My storage is setup as follows:

System drive (C:\): 1 NVME drive
Projects drive (D:\): 3 NVME disk storage spaces RAID 5 array
Cache drive (G:\): 2 SSD disk HW RAID 1 array
Archive drive (E:\): 2 SATA disk storage spaces RAID 1 array

Here is the same clip's waveform now showing in the Edit page

Davinci_Resolve_MissingWaveforms-Edit-Showing.JPG
Davinci_Resolve_MissingWaveforms-Edit-Showing.JPG (136.14 KiB) Viewed 17355 times

Here is my media storage configuration in Davinci Resolve. Hopefully some of this info will help get this problem fixed.

DR_Media_Storage.JPG
DR_Media_Storage.JPG (55.25 KiB) Viewed 17355 times
DR: 18.6.4 BUILD 19 Studio
CPU: Core i9-13900K 24 Cores@3.0GHz, 128GB of RAM
GPU: RTX 4080
Drives: NVME OS Drive, NVME RAID Array, NVME Cache Drive
Project Media: H.265 10 Bit 4:2:2 | Canon XF-AVC | Cinema Raw LT

ReneRotterdam

PostFri Jan 20, 2023 4:46 pm

Indeed, the waveforms usually appear after a while.
And though I really appreciate that the waveform files are generated in the background, the addition of
some kind of indicator that shows what percentage is generated would be tremendously helpful.
Rene A. Hazekamp

Macbook air M1

chlowden

PostSun Jul 23, 2023 7:26 am

My waveforms were not showing because my project media setting were not right. Resolve did not have permissions to access to the default folder path, therefore nothing was being created.
Hope this helps someone

likebliss

PostWed Sep 20, 2023 3:13 am

Having the same issue... Honestly I'm missing Premiere's many crashes at this point. Resolve is missing so many small things that Premiere had that would making switching much easier. And now waveforms not working is just unacceptable. I've been looking for a fix for hours instead of editing...
System Specs: 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max 64GB

pleasehelpmenow

PostWed Sep 20, 2023 7:43 pm

Sorry not looking to highjack your post. I just ripped my dvd and coded the audio to 6 channels. I need to make sure the that each channel is filled for complete surround sound. I understand the Di Vinci Resolve free app. shows the wave forms from the channels of the formatted digital file of the movie. Can anyone walk me through the steps ( from loading file) , so I can see the wave forms to make sure each channel is filled?
Thank you

kuchesezik

PostFri Oct 20, 2023 4:59 pm

reading through this it seems that this is mostly caused by inconsistencies with an external drive being the storage for the source material. while i temporarily had this issue davinci was loading video frames slowly while playing back or previewing and took a second or a few while trying to move the playhead to another region while playing. also the new waveforms wouldn't be created. i'm on the m1 mini 16gb.

my drive was hot to the touch, while this is not usually the case. it gets warm under load but apparently video processing pushed it into throttle, probably additionally background rendering as well. i disconnected it and let it cool down for a few minutes and everything went back to normal. i am using a samsung 970 nvme in a ugreen usb 3.1 nvme/sata enclosure with the silicone corner protecting "sleeve" removed. the chassis is aluminum but the module that the pcb is on is plastic and it might attribute to improper passive cooling, despite having left the nvme to poke into the chassis not screwing it in, with both easier heat dissipation and quick removal of the ssd in mind.

i haven't tried to replace the content with internal storage proxies but if the suggestions have come by trial-and-error then it should be worth a try.

mrorpheus

PostFri Oct 27, 2023 4:13 pm

I just had the same problem, but I think I found a solution.
I got my waveform back by moving the audio file to a different directory, relinking the selected clip, then the audio waveform appeared again, then I put it back to its original folder, relinked again and voila audio waveform is now visible.

Hope this helps.

Paul Fisher

PostFri Oct 27, 2023 9:57 pm

Bink19th wrote:I had the same issue, and it wasn't a simple case of toggling waveform visibility settings as they were already on. No amount of restarting, rebooting, waiting, scrubbing, seemed to fix it.

What fixed it for me, was closing Davinci Resolve, then deleting the entire contents of Resolve's cache folder. Started up Davinci Resolve again and after a moment, the waveforms appeared. Fixed.

If deleting the contents of a folder is required to fix it, I'd put that down as a bug.

Same here. My coworkers have this issue all the time and it's not user error lol.
WORK MACHINE:
MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2021
Apple M1 Max 64 GB - Sonoma 14
2 TB Glyph and other thunderbolt SSDs

PERSONAL MACHINE:
4 TB internal SSD

kresimir.delac

PostWed Nov 01, 2023 11:04 am

What helped me was right click on the file and "replace selected clip" with itself. And yes, this definitely IS a bug!

Monzter

PostThu Nov 30, 2023 4:40 pm

It's appalling that this has not been fixed or improved upon over 2 years. How many replies must this thread receive before someone finally looks into actually solving this multi-year-old issue?

Nuremburgo

PostThu Nov 30, 2023 6:39 pm

I had the same problem and I think it is related to how Davinci Resolve or the OS uses the drives.
I was working with two different projects, one was fine, but the other didn't show the waveform. I realized they were in two different drives; the project with no problems was on a SSD and the one without the waveform was on a HDD.
SOLUTION: I installed a new and bigger SDD, I move everything there and the problem was gone. :)
I hope this helps.

kevindeshields

PostWed Apr 03, 2024 7:26 pm

This happens occasionally to me - especially when working with various multicam clips. Some of the multicams will show audio waveforms and others won't.

I've found this has worked every time for me:

Creating a new project (via "save as") always fixes it. So I'll open the project, then click the "house" icon on the bottom right. Right click on the project I'm currently working on, "save as" and rename it (copy or underscore #). Then delete the old project (you can rename the new one after that without the suffix).

I hope this is helpful.

Paul Fisher

PostSat Apr 06, 2024 1:53 am

Monzter wrote:It's appalling that this has not been fixed or improved upon over 2 years. How many replies must this thread receive before someone finally looks into actually solving this multi-year-old issue?

Yeah dude NOTHING is getting fixed and the reason is because they are building on top of broken code so to fix these type of things would be a complete redesign.
WORK MACHINE:
2 TB Glyph and other thunderbolt SSDs

PERSONAL MACHINE:
4 TB internal SSD

JanylaAislynn

PostSat Apr 06, 2024 5:29 am

Hi,

I encountered a similar problem where toggling waveform visibility settings didn't solve the issue despite being already activated. Despite attempting various troubleshooting methods like restarting, rebooting and scrubbing the problem persisted.

However, I managed to resolve it by closing Davinci Resolve and deleting all the contents within its cache folder. Upon restarting Davinci Resolve, the waveforms appeared as expected. It seems that deleting the cache contents was the solution.

If resorting to deleting folder contents is necessary to fix the issue, I would consider it a bug in the software.

Jim Simon

PostSat Apr 06, 2024 1:56 pm

JanylaAislynn wrote:It seems that deleting the cache contents was the solution.
Yup.

Those waveforms are stored in the Cache, so when they go missing you 'force' Resolve to make new ones.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to DaVinci Resolve