Project & Backups gone after 17.3.1 update

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Rainie

Project & Backups gone after 17.3.1 update

PostThu Sep 02, 2021 8:21 am

So, I updated from 17.2.2 to 17.3, didn't open the software then a week later I update to 17.3.1. I open resolve, close the open project file... Go to open it and its gone. I check the project manager, it's not listed. I check C:\Users\Someone\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support\Resolve Disk Database\Resolve Projects\Users\guest\Projects and the only thing there is a blank template file i just tried to load. I check C:\Users\Someone\Videos\Resolve Project Backups\ the backups are gone.

I had live backups and backup every 5mins turned on, the project file wasn't touched in months and after I closed it in 17.3.1 its completely gone. The only live saves I have are of this template file i opened for 2 minutes. What the hell happened.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Project & Backups gone after 17.3.1 update

PostFri Sep 03, 2021 3:19 am

Installing a new version of Resolve does not delete the DB so my guess is they are in a different location than where they are expected by default.
Assuming you didnt move them or set them up on a different drive, as a start, search the disk for a project name that you used.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Rainie

PostFri Sep 03, 2021 3:35 am

I think I know what happened.
I opened a external project .drp file with the same name as the project I was working on internally.
As the project file was old and didn't have any of my edits, I deleted it from the project manager. This probably went and deleted my project backups of the internal project I was working on.

Sean Nelson

PostFri Sep 03, 2021 6:19 am

Rainie wrote:I think I know what happened.
I opened a external project .drp file with the same name as the project I was working on internally.
As the project file was old and didn't have any of my edits, I deleted it from the project manager. This probably went and deleted my project backups of the internal project I was working on.

Ouch. This is the sort of thing that disk backups are for - I've never lost data due to a disk failure but I have had to restore from backups on several occasions because of dumb things I did to myself.

I've also gotten into the habit of exporting my projects to a ".drp" file at least once during every editing session. Belt and suspenders.
DR Studio 18.6.4 Build 6, Win10Pro x64 22H2/19045.3570
Asus C246 Pro Motherboard, Xeon E-2278G@3.4GHz, 64GB ECC RAM
GeForce 3060 12GB, "Studio" driver 512.15
OS,Library: 1TB NVMe SSD - Project,Cache: 1TB NVMe SSD

Rainie

PostSun Sep 19, 2021 6:55 am

To me, the whole point of backups is that they are just that.. backups. I think its really dumb how removing a project in the manager removes all of your backups for that project. Especially if the software cant tell the difference between an internal project and an external one if they have the same name.

Return to DaVinci Resolve