DaVinci Resolve keep freezing

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Eliott42

DaVinci Resolve keep freezing

PostSat Sep 04, 2021 11:39 pm

Hello,

I come here desperately to find some help on a problem I met on DaVinci Resolve.
Since a couple of month, my software is not working anymore, let me explain:
- When I try to open some old projects, DaVinci load a couple of percent of the project, then "DaVinci Resolve stop working".
- For the project that don't crash, I can open and modify it, but, I can't play the preview (The play button turning red but nothing happening, no image, no move on the timeline). Furthermore, I can't export anything.
- I meet same problems when I start a new project.

I did not do anything special when the trouble started. I just export my project, add some modification, and since, everything is broken.
Just to notice, I already try to uninstall and reinstall DaVinci, I altough update the software and try older version. My driver are all update. I work on the free version of DaVinci.

I dug all the internet to find a solution, but nothing similar to my problem.

Thank you for your help in advance, and sorry for my poor english.

Jim Simon

Re: DaVinci Resolve keep freezing

PostSun Sep 05, 2021 2:38 pm

You don't give us much to go on. Give the FAQ a good read. It goes over some troubleshooting steps, as well as what information to post if those fail.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=90190
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Eliott42

PostSun Sep 05, 2021 6:44 pm

Thank you for your reply.
However, I'm beginner on DaVinci, I don't really know what information you need.
I read all the FAQ, but the troubleshooting steps didn't fit with my problem.

Maybe you might need my system configuration, so here it is:
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Gigabyte Radeon rx590 8 go with 2 acer screen 24" & 27" and a graphic tablet Huion Kanvas pro 15 plug on
16 go ram
Windows 10 professinal setup on a 128go sdd (almost full), with a 1to hdd where DaVinci is setup.
I currently use the last version of DaVinci Resolve (17.3.1).
I use an audio interface behringer Uphoria UM2 with the driver ASIO4ALL as input and output and I altough have a microphone Auna.

I thing it is not an hardware trouble because I don't change anything between the moment DaVinci work properly and the moment he crash. Again, I was working on a project, after a sucessful export, it never work again.
About the project I working on while the problems start, I export it without any problem on a frieund computer.

Thank you again

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Sep 06, 2021 6:20 am

Try disabling the ASIO4ALL.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Eliott42

PostMon Sep 06, 2021 10:07 am

I disabled Asio4all in DaVinci and uninstall it from my computer, sadly, no changes.
My actual database is on my sdd, I try to create a new one on my second hard disk, no changes.
I reset preferences, no changes.
I was suspecting that my GPU driver could be the problem, so I installed an old version of them, but not a solution.

Maybe some screenshot could help you...
Attachments
Capture 1.png
When I try to render a project, the render seems to start, but even after hour, nothing happen.
Capture 1.png (159.07 KiB) Viewed 1974 times
Capture 2.png
As explain earlier, when I push the play button, it turn red but the timeline don't move.
Altough, whatever the tab, I don't have any preview.
Capture 2.png (180.7 KiB) Viewed 1974 times

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Sep 06, 2021 12:13 pm

Best generate diagnostic logs from help menu and post. It’s not making sense
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Eliott42

PostMon Sep 06, 2021 3:16 pm

Here it is.
You can find as attach a diagnostic log generate yesterday after a crash during the loading of an old project. However, I tried to generate a new one couple minute ago, but the files is about 500mo for some reason, so I can't attach it directly on the forum.
If you need this file, I will generate a link with WeTransfer.
Regards, Martin
Attachments
Logs 20210905-201723 - Loading crash.zip
(380.05 KiB) Downloaded 44 times

Marc Erickson

PostWed Oct 20, 2021 6:00 pm

I am experiencing similar freeze of Davinci Resolve R17.3.2 when using ASIO with my Focusrite Scarlett 2nd gen 18i20 Audio interface.

There are short periods when Resolve will run playing the timeline, but it eventually freezes for a random period (perhaps 30 seconds, sometimes more, sometimes less) then tries to play again.

It's possible that Windows 10 (latest version) is taking back control at random intervals even though I don't have system sounds routed through the Scarlett ASIO audio device.

I've noticed that I cannot configure the interface from Resolve. If I increase the sample rate beyond 48,000 it will change the interface, only for the interface to almost immediately to change back to 48,000.

I suspect a problem with handing off control between Resolve ASIO and the system. I'm going to try and completely remove the audio device from Windows desktop access next to see if isolating control to Resolve ASIO alone can fix the problem.

I have the latest Nvidea drivers, the latest Focusrite drivers and firmware and the most recent update to Resolve installed.

Advice on diagnostic data to capture would be appreciated.

Thanks, Marc

Marc Erickson

PostSat Oct 23, 2021 7:28 pm

I believe that the freezing I was experiencing was unrelated to the use of ASIO audio.

Through trial and error, including substituting the ASIO audio device with another brand, as well as shifting to the system audio subsystem, I continued to get the freezing problem.

Typically, the system would run for 30 seconds or so, freeze for up to a minute, then run for short bursts and perhaps run for a short period of time before freezing again.

Eventually, I took my bluetooth attached Speed Editor controller and attached it via USB(c) connector to both charge it and inspect it's version. During the next initiation of Resolve, it detected the need for a firmware update, which I did. That resolved the freezing.

I normally don't run my Speed Editor attached via USB, but will need to remember to connect it when ever upgrading Resolve in case firmware needs to update to be compatible.

Return to DaVinci Resolve