ATEM Mini Pro ISO - Resolve edit - what am I doing wrong?!

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

abba2566

ATEM Mini Pro ISO - Resolve edit - what am I doing wrong?!

PostMon Sep 13, 2021 1:25 pm

So I've posted about this before without solution, but this issue keeps happening.

I come to edit footage from my ATEM Mini Pro ISO in Resolve and I have consistent issues with replacing footage. Ie. Swapping out camera 2 for 3 or rebuilding a section.

The most common one is coming in to replace a shot. I personally much prefer the edit page, so I make any timing adjustments and do my in/out points there. However, the same thing happens when I do the i/o points in the cut page, so I don't think that's the problem.

Then I come to the cut page, make sure my playhead is in the area to be replaced, go into the sync bin, select the camera angle and select the 'place on top' button.

Sometimes this works, and sometimes it won't. When it doesn't, it places a much shorter segment of the new camera at the in point and usually completely out of sync (so you can't just drag it to fill the unused space.)
To fix it, I've found nothing that works consistently. Usually I end up marking the i/o points with markers and then moving the i/o points themselves around until it works and then dragging the footage to my markers.
It's also worth noting, I've noticed this behaviour whether it's a straight replacement or if it's a rebuild and the i/o points aren't at the start/end of the clips.

Linked to this I think, today I basically lost 20-30 mins of work because I rebuilt a whole sequence of about 5 minutes. And then when I rejoined the main timeline, the original footage was now out of sync (I didn't move it, I didn't move the audio. WHY?!)
I've abandoned that project to just rebuild in Premiere, which seems to me to more or less defeat the point of the ISO.

This has been so consistent and on multiple machines/ Resolve versions that I feel like this is somehow user error, but I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.
Any help?

John Richard

Re: ATEM Mini Pro ISO - Resolve edit - what am I doing wrong

PostMon Sep 13, 2021 1:46 pm

I've found this video on the main page of the BlackMagic website very useful as a training tool. Grant does a good job of demonstrating how to use Resolve to edit the ATEM ISO file. The most useful section is about half-way through this video. (It is the 4rth video currently mid-way down on the main website home page.)

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/#

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Sep 14, 2021 10:20 am

It's important to check that all the cameras have the same timecode and they match the ATEM reference. If they do they should all sync to the timeline reference clip and the ISO/OCN button on the cut page should just swap the clips.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

abba2566

PostSun Sep 19, 2021 3:22 pm

I'm only using the file recorded by the ISO, not the cameras, so they time codes should all be the same.
Also, if they were out of sync, surely this would be a consistent issue. At the moment, it seems to work or not work at random on the same project and even the same clip!

Return to DaVinci Resolve