Disconnected a node and now I cannot open my project

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

StevenW

Disconnected a node and now I cannot open my project

PostTue Sep 14, 2021 4:45 am

Title says it all.

I was working on the timeline and group post-clip levels connecting and disconnecting different nodes while I was testing different looks FPE's etc.

On disconnecting a node on the post-clip level from the output, Resolve crashed and now every time I open it, it crashes on loading that one project.

Other projects are fine. I tried moving the database to my system drive and repairing permissions, restarting computer, etc, etc.

The project will not open in Read Only mode either.

Running latest up-to-date Studio version on M1 Mac - everything up to date.

Any ideas on how I can at least get my timeline back since the edit is locked and I don't want to have to re-edit the entire film.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Disconnected a node and now I cannot open my project

PostTue Sep 14, 2021 10:05 am

Assuming you dont have backups turned on, if other project open ok, try selecting the project and save as, and if that doesnt help try exporting and importing.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Marc Wielage

PostWed Sep 15, 2021 2:30 am

StevenW wrote:I was working on the timeline and group post-clip levels connecting and disconnecting different nodes while I was testing different looks FPE's etc. On disconnecting a node on the post-clip level from the output, Resolve crashed and now every time I open it, it crashes on loading that one project.

As long as you can launch Resolve and see the Project Manager, you have a chance you can export the project to a new project. Do that with COPY in the title, then once it's exported, then import this COPY project and try to open that. If it opens, reset that grade and start again.

I have seen corrupted nodes happen on very rare occasions, but generally there are workarounds from which you can recover. (BTW, this phenomena goes back decades: my theory is a "bad bit" gets set to an illegal number or something, and the software blows up when it encounters it.)

Just out of curiosity, tell us what specific functions were in the node. I recently had some Red Giant OFX plug-ins blow up (big-time) in Resolve 17, and got rid of that very quickly. Generally everything else has worked fine. Filmbox, Dehancer, FilmConvert, and PixelTools all have film emulation modes that are convincing, reliable, and widely used.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

StevenW

PostSun Dec 05, 2021 12:18 am

Hey Marc,

I’m sorry I didn’t see this this reply. I managed to remedy the situation with reverting to a back up.

But, to your question, I’ve had it happen several times now and it’s always when I’m adjusting the key output of a node on a group level.

The crash happens precisely when moving the output slider of the key output so I think that is what was causing the issue those times.

I don’t have any plug-ins installed except for Film Convert which was not in the grade at the time.

If it happens again, I’ll poke around a bit more deeply because I noticed that it was definitely related to the key output function on all occasions.

Marc Wielage wrote:
StevenW wrote:I was working on the timeline and group post-clip levels connecting and disconnecting different nodes while I was testing different looks FPE's etc. On disconnecting a node on the post-clip level from the output, Resolve crashed and now every time I open it, it crashes on loading that one project.

As long as you can launch Resolve and see the Project Manager, you have a chance you can export the project to a new project. Do that with COPY in the title, then once it's exported, then import this COPY project and try to open that. If it opens, reset that grade and start again.

I have seen corrupted nodes happen on very rare occasions, but generally there are workarounds from which you can recover. (BTW, this phenomena goes back decades: my theory is a "bad bit" gets set to an illegal number or something, and the software blows up when it encounters it.)

Just out of curiosity, tell us what specific functions were in the node. I recently had some Red Giant OFX plug-ins blow up (big-time) in Resolve 17, and got rid of that very quickly. Generally everything else has worked fine. Filmbox, Dehancer, FilmConvert, and PixelTools all have film emulation modes that are convincing, reliable, and widely used.

Marc Wielage

PostMon Dec 06, 2021 2:05 am

StevenW wrote:But, to your question, I’ve had it happen several times now and it’s always when I’m adjusting the key output of a node on a group level. The crash happens precisely when moving the output slider of the key output so I think that is what was causing the issue those times.

That's interesting. I use a Key Output node all the time when I need to vary the intensity of an applied effect (or look), and it can work. Are using the newest release, 17.4.2?

Be aware that while the M1 Mac's are good (I own an M1 Max myself), my opinion is that they can't do really heavy-duty sessions that are crushed with tons of nodes, complex Raw material, and 3rd party plug-ins. Of course, it shouldn't crash and it shouldn't lock you out from just opening it. If you need these capabilities, there are still good reasons to invest in a really big desktop system with lots of RAM, lots of GPU, and tons of power. Laptops are good, but even the M1s can't do everything (no matter what Apple promises).

Having said that, I've been blown away by how good the M1 Max is, and in a lot of ways it's the best laptop I've ever owned... and I think I had my first PowerBook 100 back in 1991, plus at least 15 or 20 different models since then. Been a long time.

StevenW

PostTue Dec 07, 2021 12:16 am

Marc Wielage wrote:
StevenW wrote:But, to your question, I’ve had it happen several times now and it’s always when I’m adjusting the key output of a node on a group level. The crash happens precisely when moving the output slider of the key output so I think that is what was causing the issue those times.

That's interesting. I use a Key Output node all the time when I need to vary the intensity of an applied effect (or look), and it can work. Are using the newest release, 17.4.2?

Be aware that while the M1 Mac's are good (I own an M1 Max myself), my opinion is that they can't do really heavy-duty sessions that are crushed with tons of nodes, complex Raw material, and 3rd party plug-ins. Of course, it shouldn't crash and it shouldn't lock you out from just opening it. If you need these capabilities, there are still good reasons to invest in a really big desktop system with lots of RAM, lots of GPU, and tons of power. Laptops are good, but even the M1s can't do everything (no matter what Apple promises).

Having said that, I've been blown away by how good the M1 Max is, and in a lot of ways it's the best laptop I've ever owned... and I think I had my first PowerBook 100 back in 1991, plus at least 15 or 20 different models since then. Been a long time.

I'm not sure which version it was but at the time it happened it would have been the latest Studio version. I usually keep up to date.

Node structure was pretty simple. I did have group and timeline level nodes going on. My feeling is that it might have been something to do with groups because I don't usually use that workflow and also always use the key output operation. It just started to happen when using groups, and it happened on the project after I recovered and set up a new one.

It was happening quite often and I was trying to finish a project. It got to the point where I decided not to use groups for fear of being locked out again and losing progress.

That said, it could be a M1 issue, I'll make sure to take detailed notes if it happens again,

Marc Wielage

PostTue Dec 07, 2021 12:22 am

StevenW wrote:Node structure was pretty simple. I did have group and timeline level nodes going on. My feeling is that it might have been something to do with groups because I don't usually use that workflow and also always use the key output operation. It just started to happen when using groups, and it happened on the project after I recovered and set up a new one. It was happening quite often and I was trying to finish a project. It got to the point where I decided not to use groups for fear of being locked out again and losing progress.

I have several observations:

1) I would avoid doing anything complex with a Timeline grade. I think that's a very specialized area of Resolve best reserved to things like letterbox blanking and so on -- I think they're dangerous and can lead to trouble. Pre/Post-Clip Grades are better for grouping and so on.

2) a Fixed Node Structure can give you the functionality of applying one grade on a large number of shots, and you can always do a ripple change to reset or alter them if needed.

3) don't stress out the M1. As I said before, it's a powerful machine, but it is a LAPTOP after all. It can't do anything. You've got the bear dancing already -- don't point him with a stick on top of it.

Return to DaVinci Resolve