Problem with Resolve Studio 17.3.1 slow and unresponsive

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

whcvip

Problem with Resolve Studio 17.3.1 slow and unresponsive

PostTue Sep 14, 2021 12:49 pm

Upgraded from 17.3 to 17.3.1 on my laptop (not 100% sure this is the problem though), previously no issues at all with earlier versions. With power supply connected occurs and on Balanced mode in bios and maximum performance in Windows 10.

The problem is Davinci Resolve is VERY slow an unresponsive, not just in the timeline either in cut or edit page, but through out the whole UI, menu, setting, just very slow and unresponsive, seems ok first 5 seconds, but then just completely useless and laggy. CPU when playing video back about 10% and GPU even lower, and cannot maintain a steady playback. But like said the whole UI just unresponsive, like it keeps loosing "connection" and switching "on" and "off" if that makes sense.

Tried following:
Moving the files ti internal SSD (Normally use USB SSD for media)
Uninstall Resolve reboot and the reinstall
Reinstall chipset drivers
DDU uninstall GPU drivers and reinstall
Ran several benchmark stress tests to test hardware (in the middle of Memtest86 now)
Removed all USB devices
Removed the external monitor
Make new database and new project
Tried balanced and maximum power profiles in Windows
Revert back to Resolve 17.3, same problem

All other apps work just fine, only Resolve is acting up!

My system (Laptop):
Windows 10 Pro (Latest build)
Nvidia RTX 3070 (Latest studio drivers)
AMD 5800H CPU (Latest chipset drivers)
32GB 3200mhz RAM (memtestet before no error)
2x 1TB NVME SSD (1 for software, 1 for cash disk)
USB NVME ssd for media files (DNxHR 4k 8bit from Video Assist)

My main desktop system, same Windows 10 Pro build, same GPU & Chipset drivers, with RTX 3080, no problems at all with same version of Resolve.

On both systems I have nothing else installed to run in the background, other than Spyder5, OneDrive, and Geforce Experience, plus some photo edit software and so on, but keep everything barebone and both of my systems is setup for Davinci Resolve Studio and photo editing specifically.

Any help is much appreciated!
Last edited by whcvip on Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coachrdb

Re: Problem with Resolve Studio 17.3.1 slow and unresponsive

PostTue Sep 14, 2021 1:27 pm

I have the same exact problem. It's basically unusable at this point. I tried everything and ended up uninstalling it and installed Resolve 16 and it worked flawlessly. It's not our computers, it's the update. Waiting for a fix.

TheBloke

PostTue Sep 14, 2021 1:57 pm

Sanity check: you definitely have Resolve Studio installed, not the free version?

I've seen posts in the past from people who accidentally installed free instead of Studio when upgrading, and then wondered where Studio features had gone. In your case, downgrading accidentally to Free would lose your H264/H265 decode which could certainly make the software appear much slower if you have media with one of those codecs on a timeline.

TBH from your symptoms I don't think it's that, but just double check by going to the About menu.

Other thoughts:
- Does it happen with all projects?
- What happens if you create a new project and click around the pages with no media at all?
- What happens if you then import a couple of simple example clips?
- If the problem can be isolated to your current project, do you have Background Caching enabled in Project Settings? What happens if you set Render Cache to None? Maybe it's slow after 5 seconds because Background Caching is kicking in and that's slowing everything down. (In which case you should find no problem in a new test project.)
- What happens if you go back to Studio 17.3 or 17.2.2?
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

whcvip

PostTue Sep 14, 2021 3:54 pm

TheBloke wrote:Sanity check: you definitely have Resolve Studio installed, not the free version?

I've seen posts in the past from people who accidentally installed free instead of Studio when upgrading, and then wondered where Studio features had gone. In your case, downgrading accidentally to Free would lose your H264/H265 decode which could certainly make the software appear much slower if you have media with one of those codecs on a timeline.

TBH from your symptoms I don't think it's that, but just double check by going to the About menu.

Other thoughts:
- Does it happen with all projects?
- What happens if you create a new project and click around the pages with no media at all?
- What happens if you then import a couple of simple example clips?
- If the problem can be isolated to your current project, do you have Background Caching enabled in Project Settings? What happens if you set Render Cache to None? Maybe it's slow after 5 seconds because Background Caching is kicking in and that's slowing everything down. (In which case you should find no problem in a new test project.)
- What happens if you go back to Studio 17.3 or 17.2.2?

Yes it is studio version, file says "DaVinci_Resolve_Studio_17.3.1_Windows", also just used the "popup" message download link when I opened Resolve.

Tried to go back to 17.3, same issue, tried installing and repairing some C++ Visual Studio files I could fine at Microsoft, still same issue.

-Yes, all projects, new as well as older.
-Yes, empty projects as well, just the database window is slow and sluggish, naming new project and the text is far behind what I write.
-Just basic smaller MP4 files, same, cannot get usable playback, a second or two from time to time, else just laaaaging, dropping frames all over the place, and cannot hold a steady 25fps.
-Don't really use cashing or background render, RTX cards are so well at handling H264 when I use that, but mainly DHxHR codec I use, and only at 25fps. Only some effects where I use render, and it is set to smart.
-Don't have older versions of resolve lying around, tend to delete my download folder from time to time for those larger files, so cannot test previous version. Am tempted to just delete everything Resolve (folders and so on) and start all over, but then having to backup, restore and so on with my databases and audio preset, just a pain, have everything setup to go now!

Thanks for your input :).

whcvip

PostTue Sep 14, 2021 4:03 pm

coachrdb wrote:I have the same exact problem. It's basically unusable at this point. I tried everything and ended up uninstalling it and installed Resolve 16 and it worked flawlessly. It's not our computers, it's the update. Waiting for a fix.

That is unfortunate, was looking forward now being able to be more mobile, and strange then that this does not happen on my desktop, same GPU drivers though ZEN2 VS ZEN3 CPU. Hoping for a fix soon, is it Windows or Blackmagic issue? When it works, just runs so nice on 30series GPU.

Been running primary MacOS and Resolve/Finalcut, but after I got rid of my MacBook since I was working from home, was so impressed with the RTX cards (started with 2080 Super, and later 3080), that getting a RTX laptop on sale for a good price, seems like the right thing to do, but man spending hours just trying to get it working, that makes me almost regret my decision, really hoping there is a fix on the way, because just cannot figure out what can go wrong from only a 00.0.1 update.

TheBloke

PostTue Sep 14, 2021 4:16 pm

Check the pinned FAQ thread (viewtopic.php?f=21&t=90190) - it lists diagnostic logs and other details you can provide. Include all that so Support can take a look in more detail.
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

whcvip

PostTue Sep 21, 2021 10:45 pm

Just an update, never managed to fix the issue, tried latest Nvidia Studie driver, updated the latest Bios, reinstall Windows 10 on top of the old, completely uninstall Davinci Resolve (all folders and registry database, C++) and reinstall. Nothing helped, even tried installing Public Windows 11 Pro beta, still same!

So I ended up doing a complete Windows 10 Pro install, wiped the drive and started allover, and now IT WORKS! Installed most (if not all) my apps, all drivers, and latest Windows 10 Pro build, and using the exact same databases on same location (pretty sure the same settings as well). Not sure what went wrong here, which is a little nerve-racking, am defiantly not counting on this laptop on any "major" projects in the near future before further testing, but will do some smaller edits and further testing/benchmarking and see if the problem returns.

Hope this never happens again, but not knowing what caused the issue, only time will tell. Defiantly not a hardware defect, done ALLOT of stress-testing and benchmarking, only thing having issues was Davinci Resolve.

Return to DaVinci Resolve