Delivery is giving non-playable files

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

themohom

Delivery is giving non-playable files

PostThu Sep 16, 2021 8:54 am

Hello All!

Brand new to this whole thing but have managed to spend 8 hours editing 10 minutes of footage, once I get to the delivery the rendered video is unplayable!

I've tried using a custom setting for MP4 and also the H.264 master delivery methods but both produce files that fail to play in VLC (see screenshot).

I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the red bar at the top of the timeline and that some frames have 00:00:00:00 on them above the timeline?

I'd appreciate any help! Cheers

https://ibb.co/9HnyRLd

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Delivery is giving non-playable files

PostThu Sep 16, 2021 11:24 am

Change the zoom of the timeline in the delivery page and show us all the video tracks.. all we can see here is audio
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

themohom

PostThu Sep 16, 2021 1:02 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Change the zoom of the timeline

I have tried again by downgrading from 4k to 1080P but again it has failed even through on playback I had it playing smoothly in the edit mode.

https://ibb.co/D4y5L40

I'm confident this is a setting issue, my PC specs are more than capable:

I7-10700K @3.80GHz
32GB RAM
1080Ti

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Sep 17, 2021 4:03 am

The red line shows some sections are not cached.. try a save as for this project as a backup, then deleting the cache and and turn off cache generation.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

themohom

PostMon Sep 20, 2021 8:42 pm

Figured it out. I had already done the suggestions of the cache being green and also the deleting of the cache prior to posting this thread (as this had been answers on other earlier forum posts).

My answer was that the auto bit rate was producing files too large for my hard drive. I suspected an issue with this when all files, regardless of quality (4k/1080) were producing files of practically the same size.

Turns out that I had my HDD formatted as FAT32 (only supports files of up to 4GB). However limiting the bit rate to something sensible (such as 40,000 Kbps) produced a reasonable sized file (3.6Gb for 11 mins @4k 60fps).

Looks like it's time to reformat my hard drive!

Although it begs the question, what unreasonable bit rate does auto go to to create such monstrously large files?

Either way case closed... :D

Return to DaVinci Resolve