How to see number of items/clips ?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

homevidguy

How to see number of items/clips ?

PostWed Sep 15, 2021 2:27 pm

Hi, I'm trying to ditch Premiere and Vegas in favor of Resolve. So far I'm liking it. But I am not finding a way to see how many clips there are in places such as:

* my media pool
* a media pool bin
* a timeline
* my current selection

suppose i need to know whether there are 246 or 273 clips in "Bin 1" of my media pool. count by hand? i would expect to be able to right-click the bin and choose "Properties" or something to see general info such as this.

how can i see how many clips are in a particular timeline? or even in a given track of a timeline? same as above, i would expect a "properties" dialog to be available showing stats like this.

when i select some clips in a timeline, or in a media pool, where can i see how many clips i currently have selected? i would expect to see a status bar at the bottom of the screen, or somewhere, saying "35 items selected" or something similar.

i can't find anything like this in the interface or options. the best the inspector pane does is say "multiple clips".

thanks in advance for any tips!

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: How to see number of items/clips ?

PostThu Sep 16, 2021 11:11 am

moved to Resolve forum
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

panos_mts

PostThu Sep 16, 2021 11:46 am

You can open the metadata panel to see how many clips are selected on the media pool or the timeline (if one clip is chopped into multiple pieces, will count as one)

You can also use the edit index to see how many items are on the timeline (it counts video and audio clips separately).

You can also expand the header of a track to see how many clips are there.
Last edited by panos_mts on Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andy Mees

PostThu Sep 16, 2021 12:07 pm

For Media Pool / Bins the clip count info is available via the Cut Page Source Tape function.
For a timeline you can see clip counts per track in the track header area.
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

homevidguy

PostThu Sep 16, 2021 11:15 pm

Thank you for the tips! I see the info you folks mentioned. Cheers!

Riclun

PostWed Aug 09, 2023 9:56 am

How do I STOP seeing the number of clips?????
No one ever tells you HOW to and HOW not to see this number. It's just there in one track. No button. No menu item. You all talk about it. The manual says it's there and you see, what it is is the - get this - it's the number of clips in that track.

Why for the love of God can't davinci create a simple method for changing such parameters and apply it everywhere instead of designing a different means of for every "Page."

But really just tell me how the ____ to turn this OFF?

Andy Mees

PostWed Aug 09, 2023 11:11 am

Riclun wrote:No one ever tells you HOW to and HOW not to see this number.
Each track always displays its clip count in the track header if and when the track height is expanded sufficiently to show it. It works exactly the same in every page that displays the traditional timeline. To hide/show the information, simply reduce/expand the track display height as needed.

Return to DaVinci Resolve