Smart Insert ignores playhead edit position in DVR 17.3.1

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

guanche7

Smart Insert ignores playhead edit position in DVR 17.3.1

PostThu Sep 16, 2021 11:15 pm

From other forum postings, it appears that other users are experiencing similar problems. To use a common framework available to all, the example on page 32 of the DaVinci Resolve 17 beginners guide illustrates the issue perfectly. No matter whether F9, the smart insert screen icon, or the speed editor smart insert key is used, after moving the timeline playhead to whichever desired edit point (complete with white down arrow smart indicator), the selected clip is invariably inserted about two thirds into the first clip on the timeline.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Smart Insert ignores playhead edit position in DVR 17.3.

PostFri Sep 17, 2021 3:12 am

Maybe a phone video of what you are doing might help
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Charles Bennett

PostFri Sep 17, 2021 9:02 am

I have tried to replicate the problem and cannot. Whether on the Cut or Edit pages F9, Speed Editor Smart Insert key, and Smart Insert icon are all working as they should on my system wherever I place the playhead.
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Kenzo

PostFri Sep 17, 2021 11:23 am

guanche7 wrote:the selected clip is invariably inserted about two thirds into the first clip on the timeline.

You probably set an In-point on your timeline.
Eryk Rogozinski
www.art-fx.eu

guanche7

PostFri Sep 17, 2021 10:11 pm

Thank you all for such timely responses.

Reassuringly, other editing sessions do not exhibit the same problem - Smart Insert, Place On Top, and other similar operations drop their load in the expected place.

The problem for the moment seems restricted to a project fully derived from the OMO Quick Cut source media from the 17.3.1 Beginners Tutorial. Attempts to advance with the tutorial are proving fruitless - other operations also result in insertion at random positions along the timeline.

Thankfully, in the few limited tests carried out so far, I too have as yet been unable to replicate the anomalous behaviour with material of my own.

ohsnapfit

PostSat Jul 02, 2022 3:58 pm

I have the same problem with the same OMO Quick cut tutorial video! It is driving me crazy!

Smart inserts inserts the clip of the girl walking through the pines at the end of the timeline, even though there are no In inserts in the timeline. What's going on?

Return to DaVinci Resolve