About Trimming

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Danny Duchesneau

About Trimming

PostFri Sep 17, 2021 4:23 pm

Is there a way to get DaVinci Resolve to automatically move the playhead to the nearest edit when entering Trim Edit Mode, just like Media Composer and Premiere? Strangely it does so when entering the Dynamic Trim Mode.

I miss Media Composer's and Premiere's trimming concept where you choose which side you want to trim in the viewer and right underneath clearly see the number of frames you're actually trimming. (Premiere even overlays both clips timecode in the viewer.)

I edit in Media Composer, Premiere and DaVinci Resolve using small track size, small track size as in default Media Composer's and Premiere's track size, about 1cm high. Having to dig in there to either choose the head, the tail or both in order to make my trimming selection is unpleasant as opposed to other trimming tools. I would also add that selecting the tail of a clip when the clip has the Clip Attributes icon on it makes the task even more tedious.

EDIT: Also, toggling On & Off Trim Edit Mode using the same keyboard shortcut would be awesome.
Last edited by Danny Duchesneau on Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:35 am, edited 3 times in total.

John Paines

Re: About Trimming

PostFri Sep 17, 2021 4:59 pm

No, to the first question. "v" will select the nearest edit point, and "u" modified and unmodified will toggle the direction of the edit, and whatever combination of A/V. If you look at the Trim menu up top, you'll see shortcuts for selecting the nearest cut and setting up an edit in one step. These can be assigned to custom keyboard shortcuts.

For the rest, I'd have to agree that trimming could use some work, particularly with smaller track sizes. Selection and mousing can be frustrating.

eager to learn

Re: About Trimming

PostWed Oct 20, 2021 6:08 pm

Hi all,

I hope this post finds you all well.

I have s short video clip (.mp4) and I wish to trim the last 5-6 seconds of it.

I tried the Ripple Cut approach and it works on trimming from the start of a clip to a place in the middle but not from near the end to the very end.

Would the Razor function work better?

Can you pls. share the exact steps?

I place the Playhead exactly where I wish to start trimming and then press the Razor Blade to make to turn red? Then….?

Thank you so much.

Return to DaVinci Resolve