media offline

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

buckenmeyer

media offline

PostSat Sep 18, 2021 7:56 am

Hi,

I'm trying to use a clip with a green screen effect. When I add the delta keyer and go back to the main timeline it start giving me a media offline screen.

The file is still there, in the same folder ( I just added it). I tried rebooting, didn't help. Any ideas?
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
CPU: I7-7700 @ 3.60 GHz
RAM: 32 GB

buckenmeyer

Re: media offline

PostTue Sep 21, 2021 7:13 pm

Whenever I do anything now with green screen (fusion delta keyer) I get a media offline message. It doesn't matter the clip or the folder.

I didn't have this issue before. Any ideas what is causing it?

buckenmeyer

PostThu Sep 23, 2021 9:15 pm

Not just deltakeyer, any fusion.

I think it's because the cacheclip folder had filled up the entire drive. In case anyone has the same problem.

TheBloke

PostFri Sep 24, 2021 7:34 am

buckenmeyer wrote:I think it's because the cacheclip folder had filled up the entire drive. In case anyone has the same problem.
Yes, this will be the issue. This is caused by the combination of three problems in Resolve:

- Resolve does not warn when the Render Cache location is full or nearly full while trying to write cache.

- Resolve does not detect when writing Render Cache failed - it just assumes it wrote OK, shows the blue line as normal, and still tries to read that Render Cache back when you play those frames.

- Resolve displays the generic "Media Offline" message both when media is actually offline, and when it can't find Render Cache files that it thinks should be there.

The second issue is just really bad design IMHO - Resolve presumably just ignores the error messages it gets from the OS telling it that the cache files actually didn't write at all, and still displays the blue line indicating a successful cache.

Then the third issue is known to cause a lot of confusion, because users expect that "Media Offline" means that, well, their media is offline. There is no visual indication that this time it's talking about Render Cache, nor any indication that there's any problem with Render Cache; the cache bar will show blue, indicating the presence of Render Cache at that location, so everything looks fine.

For future reference, you can quickly check if Render Cache might be the problem by setting Playback -> Render Cache -> None. If this suddenly solves the Media Offline error, you know it was caused by missing render cache. In that scenario I would then select the clip(s) in question and choose Playback -> Delete Render Cache -> Selected Clips. Then re-enable Playback -> Render Cache (if you want it on) and let it re-generate it. After checking you have enough disk space, of course.
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

buckenmeyer

PostFri Sep 24, 2021 8:00 pm

Thanks for the reply!