DPX master export skips first title scene. Help?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

William Long

DPX master export skips first title scene. Help?

PostSat Sep 18, 2021 12:00 pm

Hello,

I'm trying to export a master DPX version of a 111 minute documentary for archive purposes.
(3840x2160 UHD / RGB 16bit / very large 9TB file)

After repeated tests, everything is working very well, with the exception of not including the opening title shot which is simply white text on a solid colour - 'black'. Resolve just skips this first scene and commences with the following one which is a real image. In the export-timeline this first scene is shaded out and it is not possible to mark 'in' at the beginning to include it. But in the edit timeline 'in' & 'out' are correct. All other formats export correctly for the same project. (but not TIFF which has the same problem)

This is not a cache problem, I re-rendered the offending clip and, in any event, everything else flows along beautifully afterwards.

I feel it is more like Resolve doesn't recognise or can't break down individual DPX images for a generated solid-colour??

I have limited experience with Resolve so any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated?
Thank you!
Resolve studio 16 (16.2.7.010)
iMacPro 3.2GHz
Memory 32GB
Graphics Radeon Pro Vega 56

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: DPX master export skips first title scene. Help?

PostMon Sep 20, 2021 3:06 am

In the edit page, try margin the first clip, the text clip, a compound clip.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

William Long

PostMon Sep 20, 2021 7:38 am

Thank you Peter!

Yes, creating a compound clip did the trick. I have now realised that all solid-colour slugs, like moments of black in the project, must be compounded if they are to appear as shots in the DPX export.

However, the dissolve-up between shot 1 (black) and shot 2 (real image) still does not appear in the DPX export?

It is obvious that there is something I don't understand here. Very grateful for the assistance!
iMacPro 3.2GHz
Memory 32GB

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Sep 20, 2021 9:04 am

That might be a bug.. you are a year behind in software so why not back up the database and export the project as a double safety measure, restore the DB and update to 17.3.1, in that process update the restored DB, not the original v16

William Long

PostMon Sep 20, 2021 9:47 am

Yes I can try that, thank you.

I deliberately held off doing that before, because for the life of this 3 year project everything in Resolve has otherwise been so stable.

Thanks again.
iMacPro 3.2GHz
Memory 32GB

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Sep 20, 2021 9:50 am

Be sure to backup first

Return to DaVinci Resolve