postgres setup

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Terence Kearns

postgres setup

PostSun Sep 19, 2021 4:34 pm

so I noticed that r17 doesn't offer postgresql installation on Windoze as part of DR setup.

so I just downloaded the latest version of postgresql server and installed it. After finally figuring out the PG_hba.conf files, I was able to create a db through resolve but then it immediately gave me this error message.

resolve-pg critical exception.png
resolve-pg critical exception.png (36.23 KiB) Viewed 1779 times

is the latest version of PG (13) incompatible?
which version of PG server is supported by the latest DR?

roger.magnusson

Re: postgres setup

PostSun Sep 19, 2021 5:31 pm

The Project Server is now a separate download and includes PostgreSQL. The latest version is "DaVinci Resolve Project Server 17.3" and it's available here: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/family/davinci-resolve-and-fusion

Igor Riđanović

PostTue Sep 21, 2021 1:44 am

I think the qualified version of PSQL is 9.6 or thereabouts. It's been discussed in this forum before.

It's not necessarily that the newer versions of PostgreSQL are incompatible, but it's uncharted territory. You're on your own if you go higher.
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Sep 21, 2021 2:01 am

The Resolve installer is no longer used to install PostgreSQL.

As mentioned, the Resolve Project Server app is now used to install PostgreSQL on systems lacking that.

I would strongly recommend you COMPLETELY uninstall the PostgreSQL you installed, including the data folder.

Then run the Resolve Project Server 17.3 installer, and let it install and configure PostgreSQL.

Then use the Project Server app to create and share new PostgreSQL databases you wish to use.

The PostgreSQL version installed on Windows remains 9.5.4.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

BernieG

PostMon Apr 15, 2024 4:38 pm

I know this is an old thread, but after having problems making Project Server to work with my existing PostgreSQL database, I did what was indicated, remove everything Postgres on my Windows 11 computer, to let Project server install Postgres. The thing is, it DOES NOT WORK!

The error message says "either PostgreSQL server does not run, or the password is incorrect" Note: it does not ask for any password.

I have no problem making DaVinci work with PostgreSQL, but I would like too use the backup system from within Project server. Network wise, it could not be easier, as it is local (127.0.0.1)

Return to DaVinci Resolve