Synology and PostgreSQL for Resolve

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Bob Zelin

Synology and PostgreSQL for Resolve

PostSun Sep 19, 2021 5:39 pm

Hi -
its September 19th, 2021. I post the date, because things change as the years go on. I do a lot of QNAP installations with Resolve, and it's no issue for me to do the PostgreSQL 9.5.4 server on a QNAP for multiple computers using Davinci Resolve. I just got asked to do this for a Synology, and I had great difficulty in figuring this out. Most people, including myself, rely on Google and YouTube to figure things out, and I used this video, which was created in 2018 -

this wonderful person also has a website, where he made some updates in errors on this video, and shows what needs to be updated -
https://www.sondregronas.com/managing-p ... gy-server/

but I could not get that to work either ! I started to research it, and many things on this forum came up, but I finally figured out what was going on, so I though I would share it, since so many people here are so helpful with so many more complicated things.

In Sondre's documents, he keeps showing that you need to create the Databases using SQL_ASCII, but this no longer works - certainly not in Resolve 17. I have seen someone reference this error message, which I received as well, in Resolve -
"Failed to create database - new Encoding (UFT8) is incompatible with the encoding of the template database (SQL_ASCII) Hint: use the same encoding as in the template database, or use template0 as template. "

So there was the answer right on Resolve. You go into pgAdmin4, you create a new Server database name, you create a new database, and under the Definition tab, you click on Encoding: UTF8, and Template: template0, and SAVE this. NOW, you can go into Resolve, click on Connect to the PostgreSQL database, and this will now become available to you.

I am unhappy (possibly due to my ignorance) that I cannot directly create the databases in Resolve, and have them just save to the Synology PostgreSQL, like I can do on the QNAP, without having to rely on pgAdmin4.

There will be people that may say now - "well - why don't you just use Docker in the Synology". Why ? Because QNAP has a nice clear document on exactly how to do this for Resolve, but there is no such document from Synology, nor are there any little videos on Youtube, or explanations from anyone on the internet on how to get a docker in Synology to run a PostgreSQL database for Resolve.

Anyway - I hope this helps someone that is trying to use a Synology with Davinci Resolve and run the PostgreSQL right on the Synology.

Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin
bobzelin@icloud.com
www.bobzelin.com

Olivier MATHIEU

Re: Synology and PostgreSQL for Resolve

PostThu Oct 07, 2021 6:14 am

That why I moving from Synology to QNAP.
Don't get me wrong I love DSM and all it's capabilities .... but for Resolve it's too tricky for me
Thanks anyway
Resolve Studio 18.6.x & Fusion Studio 18.6.x | MacOS 13.6.x | GUI : 3840 x 2160 | Ntw : 10Gb/s
MacbookPro M2 Max

Return to DaVinci Resolve