Recovering a database

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Behring

Recovering a database

PostSun Sep 19, 2021 6:19 pm

Hi
I am a fairly new user of Resolve and I have made a few videos in version 16.
I have downloaded version 17 and opening it the first time there is a message that says "We recommend that you backup your existing database before upgrading. You can't undo this action"
Is it possible to backup my database at this point?
I am using a Mac laptop.
Many thanks.

Gary Hango

Re: Recovering a database

PostMon Sep 20, 2021 3:10 am

You need to use version 16 to do the backup, or, if it's a "disk database", at the OS level, copy the whole database folder to another location and use that one to upgrade in v17. That way if something goes wrong, you still have your original database intact.
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700, 3.40GHz, 32.0 GB
MB: MSI, BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. A.60, 12/17/2015
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960, 2Gb
Resolve 18.1.1.0007(Free)

Marc Wielage

PostMon Sep 20, 2021 5:38 am

Read this list of steps you need to do with Resolve 16 before updating to Resolve 17:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=125045

These are optional, but (to me, anyway), they're highly recommended.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Behring

PostMon Sep 20, 2021 2:35 pm

Gary Hango wrote:You need to use version 16 to do the backup, or, if it's a "disk database", at the OS level, copy the whole database folder to another location and use that one to upgrade in v17. That way if something goes wrong, you still have your original database intact.

Thank you Gary - As far as I can tell I can't go back to version 16 because when I click on the Resolve icon the only option is to upgrade as the files for version 17 are already downloaded.
I have copied the 'disk database' and copied it onto an external drive - once upgraded to 17 how do I link the database?

Return to DaVinci Resolve