Audio deleted when trying to switch to mono/stereo

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

dylbeano

Audio deleted when trying to switch to mono/stereo

PostSun Sep 19, 2021 11:56 pm

Hey all,
I've had the common problem of my audio only coming out of one side because my mic recorded in mono but I imported it into a stereo track. I've tried several solutions on this forum to fix it (clip attributes -> changing to mono AND also changing to stereo with the same source for each side, as well as changing the whole audio track itself to mono), and each time, my audio is erased or deleted and I can no longer hear it. Any idea why that's happening, and how to fix it? Thanks!

Charles Bennett

Re: Audio deleted when trying to switch to mono/stereo

PostMon Sep 20, 2021 8:33 am

In the Edit or Fairlight pages add a mono track by right clicking on the track header space, click add track and then mono. Now drag your mono recording from the Media Pool to that track.
Attachments
Add Mono Track to Edit.jpg
Add Mono Track to Edit.jpg (75.71 KiB) Viewed 268 times
Add Mono Track to Fairlight.jpg
Add Mono Track to Fairlight.jpg (97.49 KiB) Viewed 272 times
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Charles Bennett

PostMon Sep 20, 2021 9:13 am

If you recorded your mono audio to a stereo track in the first place do this. Right click on the file in the Media Pool and select Clip Attributes. Select the Audio tab. In the Format box select mono. The Tracks box should say 1. Now click the Add button and a mono track should appear showing its contents as Embedded Channel 1. Click OK.
To check that it is working drag the file from the Media Pool to the timeline and you should get a stereo track and a mono track together.
If all is well you can delete the stereo track, go back into Clip Attributes, and when you hover the curser over the stereo track a bin will appear. Click on the bin to remove the stereo file and click OK.
Now if you drag the clip from the Media Pool only the mono audio will be imported to a mono track.
Attachments
Stereo Track Left Channel to Mono.jpg
Stereo Track Left Channel to Mono.jpg (44.3 KiB) Viewed 258 times
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

dylbeano

PostMon Sep 20, 2021 6:25 pm

Thank you! I will try these tonight. Appreciate it.

dylbeano

PostMon Sep 20, 2021 8:29 pm

What if I've already cut and slice the audio a bunch, and unlinked it from the video it was attached to? When I bring it in from the media pool into the timeline, it won't preserve those edits, right? Will I have to re-edit the whole audio track?

dylbeano

PostMon Sep 20, 2021 8:40 pm

OK, I've resolved this. What I did was: create a second stereo track, and duplicate the audio as-edited into that track. Then, I reversed the routing in clip attributes, so that the single channel that the audio source was recorded into was routed to the left speaker instead of the right speaker on the duplicate track. Then I lined them up, so I have two mono recordings, reverse-routed and embedded within two stereo tracks. PHEW!

Return to DaVinci Resolve