Cross Dissolve appears to be applied before grade

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

dinoschachten

Cross Dissolve appears to be applied before grade

PostTue Sep 21, 2021 12:07 am

Hi everyone,
I hope this is not to stupid a question.
I am currently working on a project where we want talking heads in front of a completely white background.
The speakers were shot in front of a white wall which I have then overexposed in the grade.

The whole video starts with a fade in, achieved by a cross dissolve applied to the clip which was directly dragged to the timeline (edit page), then graded by creating and adjusting several nodes on the colour page.

During the cross dissolve the lens vignetting (or rather my treatment of it in the grade) is clearly visible which indicates that the cross dissolve is applied before the grade.

Can this behaviour be changed? (I am aware of workarounds for this situations, but in different scenarios this will produce much bigger issues)

In my opinion this should never be the default order of processing as grades are commonly used to alter colours (also based on their luminance). That definition of colour palettes (for instance a light red flower being shifted to orange while darker shades of red are not shifted) should never be influenced by the transitions used (during a fade in from black that flower should still be shifted to orange, not be treated as a darker shade of red). As far as the audience is concerned the graded colours are reality (and should be treated as in-camera) and must not be affected by the transitions used between shots.

Could this possibly be a bug, or am I misunderstanding some intended behaviour?

Marc Wielage

Re: Cross Dissolve appears to be applied before grade

PostTue Sep 21, 2021 6:00 am

What if you do the face-in using a black clip on the track above these clips, and have the black clip fade out?
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

dinoschachten

Re: Cross Dissolve appears to be applied before grade

PostTue Sep 21, 2021 9:59 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:What if you do the face-in using a black clip on the track above these clips, and have the black clip fade out?

Hi Marc,
thanks for the idea. That would definitely work for this scenario. For fading in and out I think this is generally not hard to work around, but I'd really like some feedback regarding the thoughts behind this behaviour, or whether it is even intended. Resolve is one of several great software products that have weird quirks when it comes to accomplishing very simple things. I remember several workflows in otherwise great software for which people have developed a culture of workarounds.

I really think it doesn't have to and shouldn't be that way.
Also this thread viewtopic.php?f=21&t=106389 seems to suggest that the behaviour I'm seeing should not occur if a grade is applied to the clip directly.

Return to DaVinci Resolve