Server Database issues. Login doesnt stick and cannot backup

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

bravewart

Server Database issues. Login doesnt stick and cannot backup

PostTue Sep 21, 2021 8:49 am

I am having some issues with my projects server as of recent.
I am running the postgres 9.5 Database in docker on a raspberry pi 4.

This worked flawlessly for many months, but I am having some weird problems recently.

First, The server details dont sick in the Davinci Resolve home screen. I can add the server and work on the projects, but when I restart Resolve 17, the server is gone and I have to add it again.

Also strange is, that the "backup database" from the home screen now produces an error:
Code: Select all
Failed to back up database: Failed to back up database

I can still login to the database with PGAdmin 4.5 and backup it there.

I think the problems started to happen when I changed the superuser password in PGAdmin. But I am not quite certain.

Could anybody help me find whats causing all this?

Jason Bowdach

Re: Server Database issues. Login doesnt stick and cannot ba

PostMon Oct 18, 2021 4:33 am

I've also been having issues back up using the Backup option built into Resolve (in the Project Manager_. It used to work quite well so curious if anything changed in v17.

I know BMD pulled installing PostGres when they introduced Project Server as a separate install, but I've even tried installing it (to make sure any PG commands are registered) and it still failed on both a Mac and Win10.

Hope someone from BMD can chime in? Dwaine or Peter?
Colorist \ Finishing Artist | www.JasonBowdach.com | www.PixelToolsPost.com

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Oct 18, 2021 7:19 am

The PostgreSQL Backup and Restore options on a Resolve client system won't work, unless PostgreSQL is installed and running on that Resolve client system.

The Backup and Restore options in the Project Server app should always work.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Jason Bowdach

PostTue Oct 19, 2021 1:32 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:The PostgreSQL Backup and Restore options on a Resolve client system won't work, unless PostgreSQL is installed and running on that Resolve client system.

The Backup and Restore options in the Project Server app should always work.

I'm running with my server on a QNAP NAS and in a different large studio environment, it's on a VM, so unfortunately, I'm not able to access the Project Server app.

I'm trying to (re)set-up a automated, regular database back-up (via script) https://github.com/sethgoldin/davinci-resolve-postgresql-workflow-tools, which used to work without a problem until recently. Same issue on Mac and Windows, but I've been testing on both to ensure its not related to one or the other.

I confirmed PostgreSQL 9.5 was installed, I can access commands like pg_dump via command prompt (Win10) no problem, but I still get the following error when I attempt to back-up. Any suggestions?

CleanShot 2021-10-18 at 18.41.35@2x.png
CleanShot 2021-10-18 at 18.41.35@2x.png (24.76 KiB) Viewed 840 times
Colorist \ Finishing Artist | www.JasonBowdach.com | www.PixelToolsPost.com

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Oct 19, 2021 8:52 am

Generate a Resolve diagnostics log from the Resolve Help menu immediately after the database backup fails, and PM that to me.

To clarify, you have PostgreSQL servers running on both the QNAP AND a VM?

What are the PostgreSQL versions on the servers?
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Return to DaVinci Resolve