Fairlight Automation - copy between different lanes

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

BrooksAudio

Fairlight Automation - copy between different lanes

PostTue Sep 21, 2021 4:26 pm

Hi there

Could it be possible to copy automation data from one lane / function to another?

For example from a plug in which has an automated pan function, transferred to a L/R pan in the Fairlight mixer?

Thanks for your help.

BrooksAudio

Re: Fairlight Automation - copy between different lanes

PostMon Sep 27, 2021 1:09 pm

I've spoken with Mike in UK tech support. He said this isn't possible. We also don't really seem to be able to work out what the Fairlight automation copy / paste functions really do, even within the same lane!

Mike said this is a new feature request, which he has submitted, and that the developers hang out on here...

Is that all the case? How likely is it that a feature like this could be implemented???

tlegvold

Re: Fairlight Automation - copy between different lanes

PostTue Sep 28, 2021 4:03 am

Hi Bill,

what exactly are you trying to do by copying between different lanes? Do you want to replicate automation for specific parameters or controls from one track to another?

The example you give won't work (will it work in any other DAW, btw?) because you're taking automation data for one specific plugin (probably with multiple parameters) and trying to apply it to a very different process (panning) with different parameters.

Typically you would want to write automation across all tracks you want it written on. Dial in your settings (Pan, EQ, Dynamics, Faders, mutes, etc) on your tracks. Turn on Automation, enable the specific parameters you want written and the tracks you want automation recorded on, hit play and then stop and you've striped all of those tracks with your basic settings. You can then go back and adjust/tweak/change them as needed where needed (enabling only the track(s) in question) using Trim mode.

Just a thought, if you have a track you want to copy Automation settings to a different track (i.e. EQ automation or panning), you can play back to read off your current settings, then duplicate them across the additional tracks, enable Automation and record it for those tracks as well.

Copy/paste of automation is typically used to copy the automation that you've dialed in perfectly to another part of the mix with the same content (e.g. the first chorus in a song, copy paste the automation for a specific parameter to the subsequent choruses, or vocal panning from one actor/scene to the same actor in the next scene, with the same placement).

You could try copying the automation track from your plugin and then switching the automation view to show the panner and see if it will paste, it never occurred to me to try something like that.

Have you reviewed "Automation recording" on page 3317 and "Editing Automation" on 3322 of the manual?

It may well be I've misunderstood what you mean by 'lanes' in this context. If so, my apologies.

Hope some of this can help.

Cheers,
Thor
Desktop: 2019 Mac Pro 16 Core CPU 192GB RAM | AMD Radeon W5700X 16GB | OS X Monterey 12.7
Fairlight Audio Accelerator CC-2 | Audio Interface SX-36 | Audio Editor (FAE) | Studio Console
Mobile: 2023 16" M3 Max MacBook Pro 64GB RAM | OS X Sonoma 14.3

Return to DaVinci Resolve