Auto Sync Failed

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Matthew_Lawrence

Auto Sync Failed

PostTue Sep 21, 2021 5:41 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to auto sync my video and audio in Davinci Resolve (Studio 17). The video is from the Pocket 6k Pro and the audio is a WAV file from a Tascam DR-701D (Rode NTG2 mic pointed at the talent, recorded into the Tascam).

I import the footage into the media pool, then select a video clip and the corresponding audio click, right click and select Auto Sync Audio > Based on Waveform. I get an error message: "Auto Sync Failed - no match was found when trying to align these clips".

I can't understand why this is happening as I have no problem syncing the clips manually. Obviously the Tascam audio is better but the camera scratch audio is perfectly audible (to my ears). It was recorded on the onboard mic but it was recorded inside in a quiet room so it should be pretty easy to sync.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Matthew

Reynaud Venter

Re: Auto Sync Failed

PostTue Sep 21, 2021 8:36 pm

Any improvement syncing on the Timeline?

ntbone

PostWed Sep 22, 2021 5:13 am

Are you trying to sync via Sync Bin, Multi-Cam or just replace the audio?

In my experience, Resolve is hit or miss when it comes to syncing via Audio. I been using Plural Eyes for almost a decade and its rarely if ever failed me. A few times it synced a dance performance to a different take, but otherwise the engine has been pretty resilient.

Uli Plank

PostWed Sep 22, 2021 6:20 am

Same here, PluralEyes is still better than all those audio sync functions in NLEs.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Stewart Hemley

PostWed Sep 22, 2021 8:53 am

Just to balance things (and not just being cantankerous!), I've been using Resolve to sync audio from several recorders, including Tascam and Zoom for years and not once had a failed sync. So maybe there's something amiss in the chain, rather than Resolve's ability to sync? Worth checking I would think.

dave4443

PostWed Sep 22, 2021 9:20 am

Matthew_Lawrence wrote:Hi,

I'm trying to auto sync my video and audio in Davinci Resolve (Studio 17). The video is from the Pocket 6k Pro and the audio is a WAV file from a Tascam DR-701D (Rode NTG2 mic pointed at the talent, recorded into the Tascam).

I import the footage into the media pool, then select a video clip and the corresponding audio click, right click and select Auto Sync Audio > Based on Waveform. I get an error message: "Auto Sync Failed - no match was found when trying to align these clips".

I can't understand why this is happening as I have no problem syncing the clips manually. Obviously the Tascam audio is better but the camera scratch audio is perfectly audible (to my ears). It was recorded on the onboard mic but it was recorded inside in a quiet room so it should be pretty easy to sync.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Matthew

What is probably happening is your audio is a tiny bit off, Premiere pro handles this well but Resolve doesn't

Audio records at like thousands of frames per second, and computers/ sound recorders etc can be off by a few frames which means Resolve can't match it properly.

I have it with recording through a laptop sometimes Resolve can't match that audio but it's fine through my zoom.

Just have to manually match the starting point of your audio and use the elastic wave to match the waveforms exactly at the end

Uli Plank

PostWed Sep 22, 2021 10:07 am

Of course, it can't work that well if your frame rate isn't constant, which happens a lot with computer recordings. Most of our camera guide tracks sync quite well with professional recorders in DR.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

ChipKng

PostWed Sep 22, 2021 2:23 pm

That's a pretty straight forward task which used to work for me, but I understand this won't help you.

Is your camera sound recording stereo or mono? I saw some people had problem with stereo recording and changing to mono helped on this issue.
Which method did you used for syncing the clips?
Windows 10 | Resolve 18.0.3 Studio | GTX 1070Ti (studio 472.84) 8Gb VRAM | 32 Gb RAM | i7-4790K

Matthew_Lawrence

PostTue Sep 28, 2021 5:21 pm

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the replies and sorry for my slow response.

Reynaud Venter wrote:Any improvement syncing on the Timeline?
Do you mean syncing manually on the timeline? Yes, I can manually sync the clips on the timeline.

ntbone wrote:Are you trying to sync via Sync Bin, Multi-Cam or just replace the audio?
I’m just trying to replace or append the audio so that the video clip has the audio from the recorder.

ChipKng wrote:Is your camera sound recording stereo or mono?
I just noticed that the camera was set up so that the source for channel 1 is an external mic (3.5mm jack) but I didn't have a mic plugged in so that channel was just silent. The source for channel 2 was set to camera mono. I’ve changed the sources for both channel 1 and 2 to camera mono so I’ll see if that helps on my next project.

ChipKng wrote:Which method did you used for syncing the clips?

Thanks again to everyone who commented.

Matthew

Return to DaVinci Resolve