R17 Color Management with ACEScg giving wrong results

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

oleite

R17 Color Management with ACEScg giving wrong results

PostWed Sep 22, 2021 3:17 am

Hello!

I'm trying to work with an .exr rendered in ACEScg using Houdini/VRay5. Trying to set up the project in Resolve17, I changed the Color Management to ACEScc, the version to 1.0.3, the Input Transform to ACEScg and Output Transform to sRGB:

r17_project_settings.png
Project Settings > Color Management (Resolve 17)
r17_project_settings.png (150.3 KiB) Viewed 665 times

As I've previously understood, just by changing this, when importing the ACES EXRs the colors supposedly should already be looking right (?)

The result I'm expecting is the following, which is presented correctly both in the renderer IPR and using DJV to visualize the file. It's also the result that's correctly shown when using the "OCIO ColorSpace (OCC)" node in the Fusion tab.

djv_expected_result.jpg
Expected Result
djv_expected_result.jpg (919.36 KiB) Viewed 665 times

But what Resolve 17 shows me using the ACES Color Management is the following:

r17_results.jpg
Resolve 17 results onscreen. The image ACES Input Transform is set to ACEScg.
r17_results.jpg (924.49 KiB) Viewed 665 times

What's bugging me is that, while trying to troubleshoot, I tried to load the files in Resolve 16 and, by making the same changes in the Project Settings, they look exactly like the expected result, in all tabs except the fusion one, which looks blown on the brighter areas the same way. Sadly the rest of the project is already in R17 so there's no going back.

Outside the ACES Color Management, the "ACES Transform" in the Color tab also gives a similar wrong result to what's seen in the Fusion tab in the screenshot above. The only way to get the correct result is by using the "OCIO ColorSpace (OCC)" node in the Fusion tab, as mentioned before.

Am I doing something extremely wrong? Has the workflow completely changed from R16 to R17?

Thank you!

shebbe

Re: R17 Color Management with ACEScg giving wrong results

PostWed Sep 22, 2021 9:30 am

I'm on 17.2.2 and I don't see any unexpected behaviour with loading in an ACEScg EXR straight to the timeline and using ACEScc with sRGB out.
Did you double check if the exr clip in the media pool has it's input transform set to Project or manually to ACEScg?
Home System Resolve 18.6b9: Z790 / i9 13900K / 64GB DDR5 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / ASUS PA32UGC 1600 nits
Office System Resolve 18.6b9: X570 / Ryzen 9 5900X / 128GB DDR4 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / EIZO CG248-K

oleite

PostWed Sep 22, 2021 1:58 pm

shebbe wrote:I'm on 17.2.2 and I don't see any unexpected behaviour with loading in an ACEScg EXR straight to the timeline and using ACEScc with sRGB out.
Did you double check if the exr clip in the media pool has it's input transform set to Project or manually to ACEScg?

I did test both, and, given that the project Input Transform is ACEScg, they are giving the same result :/

I also tried with both 17.3.1 and 17.1.1, and the issue persists. It's only behaving correctly in R16.

lost_soul

PostWed Sep 22, 2021 10:10 pm

I am not familiar with exr or Houdini but when you export from Houdini do you use an output transform? Try disabling color management in resolve for the clip and see if that helps. In the color page right click on the clip you are working on and select "bypass color management".
Centos 8
RX 580
AMDGPU-pro
Studio (What ever the latest is)

oleite

PostSun Sep 26, 2021 5:06 pm

lost_soul wrote:I am not familiar with exr or Houdini but when you export from Houdini do you use an output transform? Try disabling color management in resolve for the clip and see if that helps. In the color page right click on the clip you are working on and select "bypass color management".

The output transform is not baked on the image, no. It's only for visualization inside the render engine's IPR.

I'm not sure what you mean by disabling the color management for the clip, but setting its ACES Input Transform to "No input transform" also does not work:

Screenshot-2021-09-26-134510.jpg
Screenshot-2021-09-26-134510.jpg (440.95 KiB) Viewed 451 times

If useful: I'm testing this on a Ryzen 9 3900x with a 3080ti. The same behavior occurs in another machine of my team running Resolve 17 with a RTX 3070. Still, in Resolve 16 everything works as expected on both machines, so I'm not sure what's going on :/

Return to DaVinci Resolve