Resolve vs Premier to manipulate "clean up" image

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

petehy

Resolve vs Premier to manipulate "clean up" image

PostWed Sep 22, 2021 10:58 pm

Trying to decide between the two programs.

I am beginning editing a 2k scan of b&w super-8 film. I am hoping to be able to "fix" (erase) some problems such as gate hair fuzz around edges of some shots (I just didn't know about keeping the gate clean when I shot it!) and the occasional background car/pedestrian passing through the shot, etc etc.

some people tell me that Premier is better than Resolve for this kind of image manipulation, but I believe Resolve has tools for this too. I would be grateful for any thoughts, opinions and experience with this kind of thing to help me choose.

a related question: I read somewhere that Resolve's object and dirt removal tools will only work with DPX source files (not with ProRes). anyone know whether this is true??

thank you! Pete
Last edited by petehy on Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marc Wielage

Re: Resolve vs Premier to manipulate "clean up" image

PostThu Sep 23, 2021 1:44 am

The Restoration tools in Resolve Studio are terrific, and go a long way in helping minimize or eliminate film problems like dirt, gate weave, damage, grain, and so on. All are detailed in the manual.

There are dedicated film restoration software packages like MTI DRS Nova, Pixel Farm PF Tools, and HS-Art Diamant, but those are expensive ($10,000+) and very complex. For what you're talking about, the OFX plug-ins Resolve can work very well, with practice and experience.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

petehy

PostThu Sep 23, 2021 3:37 pm

Thanks very much for your reply. I am looking at this in the manual now. thanks!

carlomacchiavello

PostThu Sep 23, 2021 4:45 pm

i'm ACT premiere and i can tell you that premiere NOT have any tool about restoration.
Go to Resolve

roldogg

PostSat Jan 29, 2022 7:56 pm

I'm in the process of upscaling and cleaning up old 480i videos from 2005-2007. I stumbled upon Topaz Video Enhance AI, which is probably the easiest application with the best output I've ever used. I've been upscaling using Topaz then DV for color, but some old videos I have are recorded in an old MOD file format, which nothing reads. Luckily, I bought Aimersoft Video Converter a long time ago, and it does a great job in converting the video into a different format without any changes is the video itself.

Return to DaVinci Resolve