False Media Offline Problem

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Gregory Douglas

False Media Offline Problem

PostThu Sep 23, 2021 5:50 pm

I'm randomly seeing the red Media Offline thumbnail appear on some of my video thumbnails in the media bins. When I first open a bin, all thumbnails look good. The problem occurs when I scrub/skim on a media bin thumbnail to the very end of the clip. If I have a row of thumbnails in the media bin and move the mouse from the first thumbnail in the row to the last, all thumbnails except for the last often turn red. This occurs whether Live Media Preview is on or off. The clips all play fine in the timeline. The red thumbnail will disappear if I scrub on it but it's aggravating to see so many thumbnails turn red in the media bins and then have to scrub them off. At first I thought it was my Panasonic AG UX180 camcorder's raw Quicktime files. But I'm see the same problem with some of the raw video clips that came with a tutorial project I downloaded from the Black Magic website.

SPECS
Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)
Intel i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz
32 GB Installed RAM
Radeon RX 580 w/8GB VRAM
Resolve version 17.3.1

Marc Wielage

Re: False Media Offline Problem

PostFri Sep 24, 2021 3:32 am

Is this Resolve Studio, or the free version?

Is it possible there's a permissions problem on the drive? How is the drive formatted? Is the drive included in the User Prefs -> Media Storage list?
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Gregory Douglas

PostFri Sep 24, 2021 5:46 am

Marc Wielage wrote:Is this Resolve Studio, or the free version?

Is it possible there's a permissions problem on the drive? How is the drive formatted? Is the drive included in the User Prefs -> Media Storage list?

I'm using Resolve Studio. The drive is in a desktop PC and formatted NTFS. Yes, the drive is included in the media storage list.

Even after the red Media Offline thumbnail appears, the clips play just fine in both the Media Pool viewer and the timeline viewer. So the clips are not offline. It's only a thumbnail problem. And it only occurs when the thumbnail play head reaches the end of the clip when scrubbing on a thumbnail. I could easily avoid the issue by not scrubbing to the end of a clip. But here's the problem... when I move the mouse cursor from left to right horizontally over a row of thumbnails, all thumbnails are automatically scrubbed to the end of the clips and often, they randomly turn red.

Another way I can avoid the problem is making sure I don't scrub to the end of the clip AND make sure the cursor stays in the grey area between thumbnails when I move to another thumbnail. So it would be like playing Pac-Man to move from thumbnail 2 of row 1 to thumbnail 5 of row 5.

I set up a test where I had five rows of thumbnails with five thumbnails in a row. I started by placing the mouse cursor over the 1st clip on the left of each row and moved the cursor horizontally to the right so that I scrubbed through the entire row. By doing this, I had to scrub to the end of each thumbnail. I did this to all five rows. Then I cleared all the red thumbnails by simply opening another bin and going back to the test bin. I did the test again and got different results. I've attached screenshots so you can see how random it is.

But going from right to left is not a problem. The thumbnails do not turn red.
Attachments
Thumbnail Test.jpg
Thumbnail Test.jpg (80.47 KiB) Viewed 967 times

gtempleman

PostSat Sep 25, 2021 3:25 am

See if the info regarding Render Cache in this thread might apply.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=147562
Microsoft Windows 11 Home x64
Version 23H2 build 22631.3155
Lenovo Legion Y545
32GB RAM
GTX 1660Ti
Driver version 551.23
Resolve (Studio) 18.6.5 build 7

Gregory Douglas

PostSat Sep 25, 2021 2:19 pm

gtempleman wrote:See if the info regarding Render Cache in this thread might apply.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=147562

Thanks for the link. I checked my render cache drive capacity and it is nowhere near getting full. I also tried the suggestion to turn of render cache but that didn't fix the problem.

Gregory Douglas

PostFri Nov 05, 2021 4:23 pm

Black Magic tech support found the problem. The solution? Disable "Decode H.264/H.265 using hardware acceleration". They said this is probably not a Resolve bug but something unique to my setup (my specs are listed earlier in this thread).

Return to DaVinci Resolve