How can I fix this Colorcast? Pic Inside

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

onejiujitsu

How can I fix this Colorcast? Pic Inside

PostFri Sep 24, 2021 7:04 pm

I use Davinci for photoediting because the scopes are so much more helpful than what PS has to offer. Please look at the background walls. There is ALWAYS a gray overcast on the walls in pictures, but the walls are bright white. Im not sure if its from the lighting or what. I cannot change the lighting in the environment. It's a gym, and we can't set up pro lighting during normal training sessions so that's out.

How can I make those walls as white as the mats that the people are standing on? What I think is happening is that the mats are white, but the overhead lighting is making them bright white, whereas the same light source is only bouncing off of the walls, so it looks a bid gray. Is there anything I can do to make those walls white?

rNeil H

Re: How can I FIX this Colorcast? Pic Inside

PostFri Sep 24, 2021 8:18 pm

What the walls are to the eye in relative terms is useless for filming.

The camera, whether digital or film, only records the light reflected from a surface to the camera. You can check with a "spot" meter to read the reflected values.

Which is an interesting thing to get used to doing, to understand what's happening and perhaps to inform the capture process. That's a ton of what actually created the "filmic" look. DPs with reflected and spot meters checking and creating lighting.

After the fact is almost always more limited. I would expect that generally sampling the wall values and lifting them closer to the flooring would mangle much of the rest of the image.

Masking the walks to lift them could be done but would require tracking all the people moving across the image.

Now, in those images I found the floor so white it was distracting and visually overpowering. While the walls were easily separated from the talent and fading to simply being "there ".

So I would be more interested in making the flooring more like the walls for best visual effect.

Everyone's mileage always varies.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Kenzo

PostFri Sep 24, 2021 11:11 pm

rNeil H wrote:So I would be more interested in making the flooring more like the walls for best visual effect.

100% agree. Don't destroy the walls, fix the floor. ;)
Eryk Rogozinski
www.art-fx.eu

tlegvold

PostSat Sep 25, 2021 12:48 am

And since the OP said this is for photo editing and not video, it should be relatively straightforward to create a mask on the floor, exclude the jiu-jitsu players and bring it down a bit.

No video = no tracking needed, just a mask and an adjustment, or at least that's how it looks to me.

Cheers,
Thor
Desktop: 2019 Mac Pro 16 Core CPU 192GB RAM | AMD Radeon W5700X 16GB | OS X Monterey 12.7
Fairlight Audio Accelerator CC-2 | Audio Interface SX-36 | Audio Editor (FAE) | Studio Console
Mobile: 2023 16" M3 Max MacBook Pro 64GB RAM | OS X Sonoma 14.3

charliedango

PostSat Sep 25, 2021 2:02 am

onejiujitsu wrote:Is there anything I can do to make those walls white?

In the "File" menu, go to "Project Settings", uncheck "Use S-Curve for Contrast", then hit the save button.
This allows you to push your values into super white and super black.

dgbarar

Re: How can I fix this Colorcast? Pic Inside

PostSat Sep 25, 2021 6:58 am

Hello,

I know that you like to color correct in Davinci. But this really is a job for Photoshop. I run into this issue all the time when shooting rooms for real estate--particularly on the ceilings. Ceilings are generally painted white, but they can pick up coloration from the rest of the room. I use the following Photoshop process:

- Select the ceiling only. Frequently, there are things on the ceiling like fans. I will use the Select and Mask to refine the selection to the ceiling only.
- Add a Hue/Saturation Layer. By selecting the ceiling first, you will get a layer mask that allows you to make adjustments to the ceiling only. Then desaturate to remove unwanted coloration and increase the lightness. This reduces coloration and makes ceiling whiter and brighter.

No reason that this same strategy could not be applied to your walls.

Hope that you are shooting in raw.

Don
2021 MBP 16 M1Max, 32 core GPU, 64 GB RAM, MacOS 13.6 DRS 18.6.2

Return to DaVinci Resolve