Offline Media Error

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

matthieucote

Offline Media Error

PostFri Sep 24, 2021 7:28 pm

Hey Blackmagic/Resolve community, hope everyone is doing well!

I've been having issues recently on my DaVinci Resolve with an Offline Media Error showing up. My files are a bit spread out, some on my Computer's Hard-Drive, I have a 2nd Hard Drive in my computer and also an external all drive. They are all connected well, the proof is that it's only isolated files that sometimes give me issues.

The problem is that every now and then (and quite often), while I'm editing a file will get the Media Error Offline message. I can go back in Media, and then Relink the file and most of the time it works. Second option is to turn off DaVinci and open it again. But it's time-consuming and a bit annoying.

I'm curious if you ever came accross an issue like that, and what are you thoughts on this? What could be causing it. Clearly my hard-drive are all connected and even if it would be a "connection issue" with my hard drive, all the files would be showing, but it only happens on one file for example. Also giving me issues exporting when this happens.

Attached is an example, I've just uplaoded and relink that file and it's telling me again Offline Media Error, when clearly the file was not moved.
Attachments
er1.jpg
er1.jpg (348.19 KiB) Viewed 485 times

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Offline Media Error

PostSat Sep 25, 2021 10:30 am

It’s not just drive connection.
R u using h264/265 files? Could the GPU not process correctly as it has the wrong driver? Sometimes it’s ok and others not but maybe the GPU doesn’t report an error, resolve just sees a frame missing.
More details needed to fault find
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

matthieucote

PostSun Sep 26, 2021 4:58 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:It’s not just drive connection.
R u using h264/265 files? Could the GPU not process correctly as it has the wrong driver? Sometimes it’s ok and others not but maybe the GPU doesn’t report an error, resolve just sees a frame missing.
More details needed to fault find

Thanks Peter, yes it might be related to a GPU issue, I'm pushing the limits a lot working with h264 files in 4K with a lot of transitions and high-definition files, that would make sense.

Uli Plank

PostSun Sep 26, 2021 6:42 am

Try to transcode the files in question to DNxHR and see if it works better.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Asit Jain

PostMon Sep 27, 2021 7:42 am

Hi,

If you are using render cache, and the render cache drive is full then this could happen.
- Asit

Return to DaVinci Resolve