Color space transform [Missing 6K FILM GEN 5 option]

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

debilashka

Color space transform [Missing 6K FILM GEN 5 option]

PostSat Sep 25, 2021 3:44 pm

Hello guys, I am new to blackmagic & davinci resolve -- I am shooting with a BMPCC 6K Pro and trying to convert from BRAW to REC709 space via 'Color Space Transform' in Davinci. However, in Davinci, I don't have a 'Blackmagic Design Film 6k Film Gen 5' option in the 'Input Color Space' tab. There is only 'Black Magic Design 4k Film Gen 4' and other [apparently] useless options. However, In the 'Input Gamma' tab there is a 'Blackmagic Design Film Gen 5' option. Any idea how to get 'Blackmagic Design Film 6k Film Gen 5' in the 'Input Color Space' tab? ... am I missing anything? Any input is appreciated.

Thank you!

shebbe

Re: Color space transform [Missing 6K FILM GEN 5 option]

PostSun Sep 26, 2021 10:07 am

I'm still confused as to which colorspace and gamma belongs to what cameras from BM but since you've shot in BRAW I think it's cleanest and easiest to do in a Resolve project where you don't want project wide color management enabled to let Resolve decode all your BRAW footage to BM's log intermediate space.

Just go to your project settings, camera raw section, Blackmagic RAW and change it to decode using Project.
Set the colorspace to DaVinci Wide Gamut and gamma to DaVinci intermediate.
Also handy to check Highlight Recovery.

As for your Color Space Transform you can now select the space and gamma you've set in the raw settings.
If you'd prefer any other log spaces you can also pick those but it workflow wise it makes more sense to me to say you always decode to that for Blackmagic cameras and any other camera manufacturer it's own colorspace and log gamma. Especially if you are fairly new to this.
Home System Resolve 18.6b9: Z790 / i9 13900K / 64GB DDR5 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / ASUS PA32UGC 1600 nits
Office System Resolve 18.6b9: X570 / Ryzen 9 5900X / 128GB DDR4 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / EIZO CG248-K

debilashka

PostMon Sep 27, 2021 4:11 pm

Thanks for the reply, I'm trying what you suggested. However, I see that doing so, affects all the nodes. Is this okay or is it better to have one dedicated node for the BRAW to REC709 conversion?

Also, I've attached a picture that shows how I was attempting to convert before your suggestion. Is it wrong?
Attachments
GEN 5 TO REC 709.jpg
GEN 5 TO REC 709.jpg (653 KiB) Viewed 570 times

shebbe

PostMon Sep 27, 2021 10:35 pm

If you mean your grade is changing that would be because any grade you've done before the conversion will be different because you've changed the 'look' of your source before you apply that grade.

Now as to the conversion itself. Your input colorspace and gamma settings have to match your source.
I suggested DaVinci WG / Intermediate because it serves as Resolves "intermediate" working log space and BRAW can decode directly to that from the raw settings.
8.png
8.png (825.28 KiB) Viewed 565 times

From here you can apply grades either before or after the conversion depending on what you want to do.
An extra tip, if you want to use the HDR color wheels set your gamma for it to the same so the ranges are interpeted properly and you can make the shadow/highlight divisions with better control otherwise it's compressed between 0-100nits.
7.png
7.png (323.53 KiB) Viewed 565 times
Home System Resolve 18.6b9: Z790 / i9 13900K / 64GB DDR5 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / ASUS PA32UGC 1600 nits
Office System Resolve 18.6b9: X570 / Ryzen 9 5900X / 128GB DDR4 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / EIZO CG248-K

Return to DaVinci Resolve