How to conform DPX files to a ProRes EDL

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

petehy

How to conform DPX files to a ProRes EDL

PostSat Sep 25, 2021 4:07 pm

I am starting new project of super-8 B&W that was simultaneously 2k-scanned to DPX and ProRes 422.

I will be editing the ProRes 422.

I want to leave open the possibility to conform the DPX files to the ProRes EDL later on down the road.
I am using Resolve 16.2.8 and trying to research how to set up these files so they will correspond correctly for conforming in the future (in case I want to, for image correction work or some other reason I might not be aware of right now. I am learning!)

I have been studying the manual and researching but could still use guidance how to make sure this is set up correctly. All the files are already divided into corresponding reel names and everything is 18 fps.

I would be grateful for any help to point me in the right direction for this.
Thanks! Pete

Dermot Shane

Re: How to conform DPX files to a ProRes EDL

PostSun Sep 26, 2021 1:50 am

if the filenames and timecodes match, "re-conform from bin" is pretty straightforward

Marc Wielage

Re: How to conform DPX files to a ProRes EDL

PostSun Sep 26, 2021 2:17 am

If it's at least ProRes 422HQ, I don't think the DPX will buy you anything in terms of picture quality. Super 8 itself is a huge limiting factor. This is one of those workflow questions that should have been decided long before the film was scanned.

We think using ProRes 444XQ is a pretty good "visually lossless" format that can work in place of DPX or EXR in a lot of situations. If there's lots of time and money, of course a true lossless format is always better... but it's not going to be appreciably better in terms of picture quality, and you have to weigh that against the huge challenge of storage space and system speed.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve