Timeline node vignette/powerwindow w mismatched clip sizes

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

absolutegator

Timeline node vignette/powerwindow w mismatched clip sizes

PostSat Sep 25, 2021 11:08 pm

Hi there,

My very last node in the color tab is a timeline level node that adds a vignette. I noticed that the power window seems to be anchored to the transform effects on clips (so I guess transform effects in the inspector are applied after power windows in timeline mode).

Here's some examples with a quick power window on a timeline node.

I normally see timeline nodes suggested for applying a vignette to all clips, but this seems counter to DRs order of operations.

I will create an adjustment layer on the timeline, is this the most elegant solution?
Last edited by absolutegator on Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andy Mees

Re: Timeline node vignette/powerwindow w mismatched clip siz

PostSun Sep 26, 2021 10:24 am

absolutegator wrote:My very last node in the color tab is a timeline level node...

It's not clear from your images what you're trying to show Jonathan, but for what it's worth, I'm not seeing any unexpected behaviour here. Timeline level adjustment nodes are correctly applied downstream of any and all clip level operations, including transforms.

For example, I add a series of source clips in the Edit Page, each with a different combination of transforms applied (scale, rotate, position etc), then switch to the Color Page. In a Timeline node, I then add a default circle power window in the centre of the iframe, and drop the Gain to near zero... the result being a big black spot in the middle of my frame. If I now switch back to the Edit Page and scrub through my timeline, that big black spot will stay static in the frame over every clip, regardless of the variety of transforms I already applied to those underlying clips. Furthermore, I can edit those existing transforms, animate them, add more clips, more transforms, more animations etc... but that big black spot will stay static in centre of frame regardless of what I do, because it is at the timeline level, downstream of any clip based operations.

Is that not the behaviour you're seeing? If not, are you absolutely sure you switched the Node area from 'Clip' to 'Timeline' before adding your adjustment?
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

absolutegator

PostSun Sep 26, 2021 10:32 am

Andy Mees wrote:
absolutegator wrote:My very last node in the color tab is a timeline level node...

It's not clear from your images what you're trying to show Jonathan, but for what it's worth, I'm not seeing any unexpected behaviour here. Timeline level adjustment nodes are correctly applied downstream of any and all clip level operations, including transforms.

I applied a timeline level power window - as you can screen captures, it appears in different parts of the clip and at different sizes.

The behaviour you describe is what I expect - but not what I'm seeing happen. 100% certain I am on the timeline node area. It's very odd. The adjustment clip was a quick enough fix, but I'm pretty confused as to why the power window isn't in the same position on the frame in each clip.

Andy Mees

PostSun Sep 26, 2021 11:09 am

UPDATE: Further exploration and I can definitely reproduce and see what you mean... the function itself does work as expected ... so the result (which is what I was looking at) is entirely correct ie a frame referenced correction independent of underlying clip level operations ... but the Power Window UI in the Color Page at the Timeline Node level is entirely skewed, clip to clip, by any and all of the preceding clip level transform operations. Very weird. Even easier to show using rectangular power window and a rotate transform.

The first image below shows a Timeline node containing a rectangle power window with Gain at .001 ... the resultant black square is exactly as expected ... but it's slightly smaller than the power window UI element itself because the element is being rendered with reference to the original clip frame rather than the downstream / timeline frame.. and that underlying clip is zoomed to 140% , hence the UI element is larger than the result. In the second image it's even more obvious.... the same timeline but the node is now referenced against a rotated image (100%, 45º). The resultant black box is still in the expected fixed position ie the node operation is working correctly, but the screenshot clearly shows that the power window UI element itself is being drawn / referenced against the original clip frame ie pre-rotation, not the downstream image ie post-rotation.

Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

Return to DaVinci Resolve