Impossible keyboard mapping?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Alex Schead

Impossible keyboard mapping?

PostSun Sep 26, 2021 10:12 pm

Hi,

I work for a post-production studio and we use Resolve quite a lot. There are two things we do a thousand times a day that I wish there was a shortcut or a way of mapping those functions to keys, but I haven't been able to find a way.

The two functions are performed in the Media Pool:

1 - Right-Click -> Open File Location.

2 - Right-Click -> Input Colour Space -> Bypass.

Does anyone know a better way of doing it? Rather than right-clicking it, then waiting a few seconds (given the number of files we have in those projects), then selecting the option which takes a few more seconds.

Thanks, I really appreciate the help.

Alex

Andy Mees

Re: Impossible keyboard mapping?

PostSun Sep 26, 2021 10:35 pm

1) In Resolve for Windows, 'Open File Location' is mappable in the Keyboard Customization window (Commands >> Panels > Media Pool).... but is currently mislabelled as 'Reveal in Finder' (which is the equivalent Mac naming for the function). Nonetheless, if mapped it will work as intended ie it will open the selected Media Pool item's file location in Windows Explorer.

2) For Input Colour Space... select all the appropriate files at once, then you can use the right-click >> Input Colour Space menu to apply your target setting to all files simultaneously.
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

Alex Schead

Re: Impossible keyboard mapping?

PostSat Oct 16, 2021 8:19 pm

Hi Andy,

Thank you so much! That's perfect! I wonder why this was never changed to the proper name in the Windows version, it's quite strange to me.

In regards to the Colour Space, I definitely appreciate the suggestion, and it is something I do already but because of the way our workflow is set up, there's a constant flow of shots coming in and part of my job is to cut them into Resolve, which means using those features at separate times quite a lot. So, I was looking for a quicker way as oppose to the right-click which is 'time-consuming' in comparison to pressing two keys, for example.

Thanks for taking the time, and great tip on the 'Reveal in Finder' key. Life-saving stuff :)

Alex

Return to DaVinci Resolve