Pro Tools Export Error - COM Operation failed HRESULT

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

roger2004

Pro Tools Export Error - COM Operation failed HRESULT

PostMon Sep 27, 2021 2:08 pm

Hi,
i need to export a Pro Tools AAF & subsequent audio files from a 27 minutes timeline with complex audio edits and lots of files.

I'm getting this error at the end of the export using the preset Pro Tool export in the deliver page.
I tried deleting the muted audio files in the timeline, duplicating the timeline, and renaming the project in the project panel, with no luck. I tried AVID AAF as well with the same results. I tried to export to a different disk (mechanical one with lots of space instead of SSD).

I haven't tried to remove the crossfades and fades because i need to pass them on to the sound mixer, and avoid any more work to him (that wouldn't be logical anyway to waste some work).

Here are the logs :

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JtAE76 ... sp=sharing

I looked at the few posts that talked about this issue, but all of them had destructive workarounds. I'd like to avoid that as i worked long enough on this project and i don't want to put more work on the mixer's plate.

Thanks if the engineers can look into it as it seems to be a lasting issue.

My system:

Win 10 64 bits
Ryzen 9 5960x
32gb DDR4 RAM
Asus RTX 3090 with NVIDIA studio driver 472.12
Resolve Studio 17.3.1.5

Rohit Singhal

Blackmagic Design

Re: Pro Tools Export Error - COM Operation failed HRESULT

PostTue Sep 28, 2021 4:20 am

Hi Clément. The link provided is private. Can you make it public please. Also please attach a copy of your project (.drp) in there for us to look at.
Rohit Singhal
DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

roger2004

PostTue Sep 28, 2021 6:50 am

My bad, here they are :

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JtAE76 ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TMylN_ ... sp=sharing

I should add if that's of importance that i still have that issue where resolve crashes or just doesn't start at all when i launch it. I posted about it here but haven't resolved the issue, even with subsequent updates :

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=145418

roger2004

PostWed Sep 29, 2021 2:58 pm

While trying to find another export method, i just found that just by going File > Export > Timeline > Export as AAF would give me the same COM OPERATION FAILED HRESULT error every time.

PieroLass

PostThu Sep 30, 2021 9:54 am

there are probably some files that davinci doesn't like. You have to try to do an aaf for each track to try to figure out what those files are and remove them or convert them and remount them.

roger2004

PostSat Oct 02, 2021 5:01 pm

It'd be useful to have at least some kind of error message specifying where the export exactly failed.
Going through a one year long project with 548 audio files is simply not feasible (at least for a one man band). It's sad because my experience with the software so far was great.

The not so happy road i ended up taking (if that can help others) :

- I had dialogues in the audio part of braw files. I bounced all those to wav in fairlight, adding a dummy audio effect if needed in order to do so.
It is cumbersome because you have to manually extend the audio part in order to save some kind of handle for later AND the original .braw audio stays behind (as goes with any bounce).
So after that, i had to move up or down every single audio piece in order to delete the one hidden & muted behind. Multiple selection does not reveals the underneath audio for some reason (!).
I'm aware i could have flattened every audio track but i would have to cut it (or the person in charge after me) afterwards anyway.

Am i missing something there or is it really that clumsy to output some somewhat clean neat audio tracks to pass on to the audio mixer ??? I'd be surprised if not many people would be using this kind of worklflow : audio embedded in braw files, needing to be passed on the easiest way possible with fades, transitions & levels as an AAF to a Protools or else audio mixing guy ???

- After that, i ended up with no muted / hidden audio parts in the timeline. AAF still was giving the same error message. I ended up exporting as XML which upon reimporting in an empty project would have no fades, no levels and no transitions on the audio parts (which i think is normal), but all media neatly linked and ready.

I then tried exporting that XML timeline as AAF and...it worked (!) BUT as i reimported this very same AAF in a fresh timeline, some media were missing. THIS is where i decided i'd give up trying to export AAF.

Please engineers, with all due respect, fix this.

thebenjames

PostThu Mar 31, 2022 9:45 pm

We just ran into this as well. What triggered it was we had the cross fade plugin dropped onto an audio track AND used the edge drag fade out at the same time. As soon as we removed one, this error went away. This was just in a 5 minute piece so it was easy to find, but a feature length piece as OP mentioned would be way more challenging. Maybe there's a "remove audio FX" short cut but you could be losing a ton too at the same time.

Return to DaVinci Resolve