Why Resolve refuses to play audio?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

footofwrath

Why Resolve refuses to play audio?

PostTue Sep 28, 2021 10:32 pm

I have connected my speaker a thousand ways from Sunday: Bluetooth Stereo, Bluetooth Hands-Free, HDMI-through-monitor, 3.5mm jack directly to the computer. The only way that works is the direction connection to the soundcard while EVVERRRRRYYYYYYY other method works just fine outside of Resolve??????
I lie a tiny bit, it -does- also work with the Hands-free selection over bluetooth but that is totally unusable since it's extremely low data rate and sounds like a cat dying. Whyyyyy is Resolve making it some damned difficult!?? Just use the damn speaker I tell you to use! like WTFFFFFFFF!!!!

Yes I've chosen the Audio output setup in Preferences, I've tried both the direct option and the System Sounds option, results are identical, whatever works one way (i.e. just the 3.5mm connection and the BT Hands-free) works also when selecting the device directly. But NOTHING else works. What secret trick am I missing, pleeeeease, before I throw this goddddaaaammm junk across the room!!!!~!!~!!~!!~!!!~!!~!!~!!~!!

FYI, Resolve 17.3.1 b5.
Resolve Studio 18.6.3
Ryzen 9 5950x || RTX3090 || 64Gb 3600Mhz || Intel X520 10Gbe
MacBookPro M1 Max || 32C GPU || 64Gb || QNAP T310G1S SFP+ 10Gbe
QNAP TVS-871 @ 74tb formatted R6, Mellanox MCX312b 10Gbe
Mikrotik switches & routers

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

Re: Why Resolve refuses to play audio?

PostWed Sep 29, 2021 2:40 am

Hi Andrew

Please reference the FAQs to provide more info. Please consider the following points: info on the precise products you use, the Windows setup for them, if you hear no sound - or if something comes through but is unusable, unusable how?, do you switch devices on the fly, does Resolve work when restarted after device switching etc.

Resolve gets the audio device info from Windows - Bluetooth and non-Bluetooth - so if there are issues with the Bluetooth driver or conflicting Audio I/O setting or other setup issues, we have no idea. The message above does not have sufficient info for us to look into.

In addition to providing specific detail, please do consider following the steps in Dwaine's post to generate logs and a Windows NFO file for audio.

Regards
Shrinivas

footofwrath

PostWed Sep 29, 2021 7:44 am

Shrinivas Ramani wrote:Hi Andrew

Resolve gets the audio device info from Windows - Bluetooth and non-Bluetooth - so if there are issues with the Bluetooth driver or conflicting Audio I/O setting or other setup issues, we have no idea. The message above does not have sufficient info for us to look into.

Thanks for your effort man. Did you notice where I said every combo works in every app outside of Resolve?

And actually the particular audio I want to use stops working in other apps when I open Resolve. Returns when I close REsolve again. It's like Resolve is commandeering the device and overriding all access to it.

All your other questions are already answered. I use *one* product: Resolve Studio 17.3.1 b5. I'm just trying to play a clip from the media pool - nothing else. Restarting or otherwise makes no difference. As I said, it works if I choose the 'hands-free' bluetooth device but that's impossible for music. Everything else is dead. Same whether the bluetooth device is connected or not.
Windows setup? Plugged in via cable. Connected via bluetooth. No particular setup. Just connected. Well and to make the Stereo device the default Windows output device. Which is irrelevant to Resolve and every other app for that matter that has its own device setting.

I'll look for the logs, cheers.
Resolve Studio 18.6.3

Jeffrey D Mathias

PostWed Sep 29, 2021 9:00 am

I have been experiencing the same issue with no sound at times. I have a suspicion that it could have something to do with the Decklink card. When I uninstall the card the sound works fine. When I re-install the card, sound problems again. It might be something in software as this has been only occurring over last couple months. But definitely related to Decklink.
AMD Threadripper 1950x 16-core 3.4 GHz
96 GB Crucial DDR4 2666 ECC UDIMM RAM
AsRock Fatal1ty x399 motherboard
AMD Radeon Pro WX 8200 GPU
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit version 22H2, build 19045.3208
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
iPad Pro M2

footofwrath

PostWed Sep 29, 2021 6:11 pm

Interesting. I on the other hand don't have a Decklink card, so, think it's safe to say that's not what's happening in my case. :)

I can get audio through --one-- device. A super-shitty, ultra-poor quality one. WHy does Resolve play through this device ONLY and nothing else?? What buggy nonsense is it playing at? I tell it to use a device, it should use it! So what secrets are hiding in the bowels of the program that we need to know in order to make proper use of this thing??
Resolve Studio 18.6.3

footofwrath

PostWed Sep 29, 2021 6:40 pm

Resolve Studio 18.6.3

footofwrath

PostFri Oct 01, 2021 9:38 pm

I mean yeah it's not like audio *matters* or anything.. can just leave it out.
Resolve Studio 18.6.3

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Oct 02, 2021 3:13 am

Are the audio meters working?

Is there no audio on any page? Does audio work on the Fairlight page?

On the Edit page, there is a volume slider. Is it turned up and is it green?

Please send a screen shot of your Resolve Preferences - System - Video and Audio I/O settings.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

John Lewis

PostSat Oct 02, 2021 4:07 am

I have no audio in Resolve if the IP4K is in use on another NLE.
I9 9900k, 32mb Ram, GTX1070Ti, IP4K, ZE1OI, Bcf2000, Loupedeck CT, Resolve 18.64 SpeedEditor

sarahck

PostSat Oct 02, 2021 7:06 am

I am unable to get Resolve 17.3.1 build 5 to play audio. The computer is:

AMD Chipset Driver 2.15.07.2229
Intel Network Drivers 26.2.0.1
Realtek HD Universal & Nahimic Drivers6.0.9210.1
LED FW Update(7B78) 0A05
MS-7B78 2.90

------------------
System Information
------------------
Serial Number:
Product Name: X470 GAMING PRO CARBON
OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit Ver.2009 (OS build 19043.1266)
BIOS Version: 2.90
BIOS Release Date: 07/10/2019
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor
Memory: 16 GB @

Have tryed reinstalling drivers and Resolve many times and have gone thru all settings in preferences, have loaded plain uncompressed wav files and mp4 and mov with diffrent codacs and no luck. There is no movement in the meters and all the files play fine outside of Resolve. I get the visual waveforms in source and timeline but no audio. Nothing is muted and vol is up all way. The only time I got it to work was when I installed an old Quicktime pro program and tryed it then and the audio worked fine with meters and all then the next time I started Resolve no audio again and no meters. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

footofwrath

PostSat Oct 02, 2021 5:48 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Are the audio meters working?

Is there no audio on any page? Does audio work on the Fairlight page?

On the Edit page, there is a volume slider. Is it turned up and is it green?

Please send a screen shot of your Resolve Preferences - System - Video and Audio I/O settings.

I can get audio if I choose the 'Hands-free" option device instead of stereo. Yes all the meters work. When it works it works everywhere. When it doesn't work, it works nowhere.

AAAAAND Resolve kills all other audio in the system while it's running, until I close it.. then everything is back. If there's a "kill all system audio and don't play anything" setting hiding somewhere in the preferences that I've missed, please let me know, I will --happily-- disable it.

sarahck wrote:
I am unable to get Resolve 17.3.1 build 5 to play audio. The computer is:

Try to select the 'Hands-free audio' device if you see one. If you connect a bluetooth device in Win10 it will give you these two versions, for different profiles/usage. Hands-free does play but it's useless for music.
If you're not using a bluetooth connection, go find a bluetooth speaker, and test it, just for fun heh.
Resolve Studio 18.6.3

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Oct 02, 2021 9:31 pm

If you've set a custom audio buffer size (under Audio I/O) in Resolve, it will need to ask Windows for exclusive audio access. Please set your audio processing buffer size to Auto.

footofwrath

PostSat Oct 02, 2021 11:30 pm

Shrinivas Ramani wrote:If you've set a custom audio buffer size (under Audio I/O) in Resolve, it will need to ask Windows for exclusive audio access. Please set your audio processing buffer size to Auto.

I haven't change -anything-. It's set to auto.
Resolve Studio 18.6.3

footofwrath

PostSun Oct 03, 2021 8:57 pm

Soooo I think it's clear that there's a huge bug in Resolve 17, right?
Resolve Studio 18.6.3

Andy Mees

PostSun Oct 03, 2021 10:05 pm

Hey Andrew,

If I'm understanding correctly, the suggestion is you've encountered an incompatibility with Resolve and your Bluetooth speaker setup on Windows, is that correct? Is there anything special about your Bluetooth Speaker thats notable? Might be worth noting the specific make, model and driver. And you note that the same speaker does work correctly via Windows System Audio with Resolve if direct connected to the sound card ...or via Bluetooth Handsfree? (Is it also an audio input device?)

Not sure if I'm able to help, but I just checked some Bluetooth Headphones (WH-1000MX3) with Resolve here on my Mac laptop, set to I/O Engine : System Audio, and the output worked exactly as expected ie it just worked. I'll check the same headphones with Resolve on my edit PC in the morning, see if it falls over

Cheers
Andy
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

footofwrath

PostMon Oct 04, 2021 1:47 am

Andy Mees wrote:Hey Andrew,

If I'm understanding correctly, the suggestion is you've encountered an incompatibility with Resolve and your Bluetooth speaker setup on Windows, is that correct? Is there anything special about your Bluetooth Speaker thats notable? Might be worth noting the specific make, model and driver. And you note that the same speaker does work correctly via Windows System Audio with Resolve if direct connected to the sound card ...or via Bluetooth Handsfree? (Is it also an audio input device?)

Not sure if I'm able to help, but I just checked some Bluetooth Headphones (WH-1000MX3) with Resolve here on my Mac laptop, set to I/O Engine : System Audio, and the output worked exactly as expected ie it just worked. I'll check the same headphones with Resolve on my edit PC in the morning, see if it falls over

Cheers
Andy

No mate, quite the opposite. The only situation that --does-- work is when using the speaker, in one particular mode (hands-free = rubbish quality). Audio through HDMI does not work. Audio through motherboard sound outputs does not work. Other bluetooth speakers show the exact same result - only work with Hands-free, which is rubbish for music. (I also have a 1000MX2.).
To re-iterate, **not even the direct 3.5mm cabled speaker works in Resolve** - and when Resolve is open, it kills all the rest of the sound in the system. I close Resolve, system sound comes back. And all speaker configuration work just fine in the system with Resolve closed.
Resolve Studio 18.6.3

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Oct 04, 2021 3:52 am

Please refer to Dwaines post.
It might help is we also have drp of the project you are testing with
and confirm which of the systems you list is the one in question, and other system details that can help
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Oct 04, 2021 4:45 am

Andrew

Please provide a screenshot of the Audio I/O section as Dwaine requests, and check if switching pages has an effect. Additionally, it may be worth checking your audio settings and drivers again. Likely places to start from: sample rate mismatches in Windows audio settings, checking if the built in speakers work, updating audio/device drivers and starting an elimination process from there for your primary audio device.

At this stage, based on the symptoms provided, it is very likely this is a hardware/setup issue. Our questions just help check for additional symptoms on the Resolve side. They ensure Resolve is configured correctly, so it responds as expected when you tweak your system/device setup.

Regards
Shrinivas

Andy Mees

PostMon Oct 04, 2021 9:29 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:...and confirm which of the systems you list is the one in question, and other system details that can help

According to Andrew's System Information file (pc001.nfo), as posted above, it's the first one (AMD 5950x, ASRock B550M Steel Legend, 64GB RAM, RTX 3090, Windows 10 Enterprise etc)

footofwrath wrote:No mate, quite the opposite. The only situation that --does-- work is when using the speaker, in one particular mode (hands-free = rubbish quality). Audio through HDMI does not work. Audio through motherboard sound outputs does not work. Other Bluetooth speakers show the exact same result - only work with Hands-free, which is rubbish for music. (I also have a 1000MX2.).

Sorry Andrew, I just had a go at replicating your issue on my system, but couldn't. Bluetooth Audio from Resolve worked for me straight off the bat with both Headphones and Headset (Hands Free) settings to both Sony 1000MX3 and Bose QC2 headphones.

Other than CPU and RAM our systems aren't at all the same though, obviously.

footofwrath wrote:and when Resolve is open, it kills all the rest of the sound in the system. I close Resolve, system sound comes back. And all speaker configuration work just fine in the system with Resolve closed.

For what its worth tho, I can replicate this, but only if and when a) I set my Resolve Audio I/O preferences to System Audio, and b) I manually set a 'non-Auto' Playback processing buffer size (ie a setting other than 'Auto') ... and that's just how it works, because changing this setting is explicitly telling Resolve to override normal System Audio operation and giving it exclusive access, which means the rest of the system loses access whilst Resolve is running. [See this old thread regarding giving Resolve exclusive control.]
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

footofwrath

PostMon Oct 04, 2021 4:44 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Please refer to Dwaines post.
It might help is we also have drp of the project you are testing with
and confirm which of the systems you list is the one in question, and other system details that can help

It does it for every project. A brand new one with no content.
Resolve Studio 18.6.3

footofwrath

PostMon Oct 04, 2021 7:11 pm

Shrinivas Ramani wrote:Andrew

At this stage, based on the symptoms provided, it is very likely this is a hardware/setup issue. Our questions just help check for additional symptoms on the Resolve side. They ensure Resolve is configured correctly, so it responds as expected when you tweak your system/device setup.

Regards
Shrinivas

How, man? How exactly? It works in every other app other than Resolve and I haven't changed any audio settings in Resolve other than the output device.
I'm happy to concede a mistake if I've made one, or haven't done something I need to do, but a hardware/setup of the device itself (other than in relation to Resolve) is clearly NOT the issue.
Resolve Studio 18.6.3

footofwrath

PostMon Oct 04, 2021 8:24 pm

Attached the screenshot of my Audio I/O page. You can see now I've set the output to 'Remote Audio' over the RDP channel instead of having the computer itself even have to think about an output device. Again, as usual. Resolve plays --nothing--. Hopefully this finishes any talk of hardware issue.

I can open Winamp and play other things just fine - over the remote channel also - if Resolve is not running. That also works with local sound/devices too, just so we're clear. -Only- when Resolve is open and -only- in Resolve itself is there an issue, and there's an issue in every single configuration except one. SURELLY there's a setting buried somewhere that is forcing audio to a certain device?

Could it be relevant that I don't use an Admin account to run Resolve? Is it possible that the installer set an audio property against the system config and the video-user (non-admin) simply can't set anything different?
Attachments
resolveaudio.PNG
resolveaudio.PNG (103.1 KiB) Viewed 3637 times
Resolve Studio 18.6.3

sarahck

PostMon Oct 04, 2021 11:01 pm

Screenshot 2021-10-04 153614.png
Screenshot 2021-10-04 153614.png (44.47 KiB) Viewed 3598 times

Here is a screen grab of my IO setting in Resolve, have also tried the manual speker configuration and no change. I don't get any movement on meters and audio works fine with all other programs on computer.
will try to set up a dropbox for other file for you to look at. Thanks Sarah

sarahck

PostTue Oct 05, 2021 12:36 am

Here is a Log file from Resolve, hope this helps
Attachments
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20211004-172526.zip
(109.7 KiB) Downloaded 65 times

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Oct 05, 2021 6:12 am

Andrew, do you mean to say you're accessing this system remotely?

Wouter Bouwens

PostTue Oct 05, 2021 8:54 am

I am not sure if this post is useful, just ignore it if not.

I have had a lot of problems with the audio on resolve 17. Some of the problems:

- Resolve starts, but just disappears when the splash screen arrives at "loading fairlight page".
- No audio at all
- Audio, but not through the same device as windows, meaning windows would play through my speakers, resolve would play through my headphones.
- No audio, but audio appears when I switch from headphones to speakers and back, or vice versa, using the sound icon at the bottom right of the screen.

I have found some problems and some solutions, and now it works for me.

My setup:

Bluetooth speakers, or headphones through the 3.5" jack at the front i/o.

The problem came from my monitors. They have no speakers, but are recognized by windows as having speakers/audio. So when selected, automatically by windows, there is no sound. This seemed to confuse resolve. The solution for me was to disable the monitors in windows, as far as sound goes, by this method:

https://superuser.com/questions/1478390 ... windows-10

The problem with resolve just disappearing from the splash screen when loading the fairlight page was also clear to me then. I didn't have my headphones plugged in, and the Bluetooth speakers had not connected yet, or I had to connect them manually. So, as far as windows was concerned, there was no audio playback device present at all. This causes Resolve to just disappear while loading the fairlight page. No warning, no message "no audio", it just disappeared.

Once I disabled all audio devices in windows that were not actually audio devices, and I figured out the "no device available" problem, I have had no more problems with the audio in resolve.
Last edited by Wouter Bouwens on Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
CPU: Intel Core I9 10850K
GPU: MSI Suprim X Geforce 3080
Motherboard: MSI Z590-A Pro
RAM: 32 GB Gskil Ripjaws 3600
SSD: Samsung EVO 970 M.2 NVME 1TB

footofwrath

PostTue Oct 05, 2021 6:28 pm

Shrinivas Ramani wrote:Andrew, do you mean to say you're accessing this system remotely?

*sigh*.
This is one of the configurations I am using to attempt to verify the source of the almost-universal-in-Resolve issue that magically doesn't affect any other application.
Remote channelling of audio proves that there cannot possibly be a hardware/driver set-up issue. Because in remote connection with audio redirect nothing is done by the Resolve machine - it is all sent to be processsed at the client (through the remote session). It means that Resolve is refusing to *emit* the information contained in the audio stream - except when I choose one very specific (and useless) output device.
And again, every other app can play audio this way; just Resolve that refuses. Just like with **every other** configuration. Including a direct wired connection to 3.5mm-cabled speakers.
Resolve Studio 18.6.3

footofwrath

PostTue Oct 05, 2021 6:48 pm

Wouter Bouwens wrote:
Once I disabled all audio devices in windows that were not actually audio devices, and I figured out the "no device available" problem, I have had no more problems with the audio in resolve.

It's possible this is part of it, indeed. The HDMI audio channel is a valid sound device, and it's possible to connect a speaker to the monitor (usually) and have the audio traverse that channel. Not surprisingly, this - like every other configuration - does work perfectly in my case for every other app on this computer other than Resolve.

I'll try your suggestion for investigation purposes as it may well help to identify [some of] the issue.
Resolve Studio 18.6.3

sarahck

PostTue Oct 05, 2021 9:08 pm

I Got my Audio to work by using a USB audio interface instead of the computer audio out. Everything works fine through that. I had an old M-Audio USB FastTrack interface that I pluged in and moved speakers to and and made default audio out in windows and selected in Resolve IO preferences and now everything works even exporting which did not before. So I guess there is an hardware incompatiblity with the onboard Audio Adapter on the MSI X470 ProCarbon with RealTek ALC S1220A Audio Codec.
All my other software was fine with the onboard audio but Its good to have a solution and be able to use the program which is great now that it works!

mp14mp14

PostTue Oct 05, 2021 10:13 pm

I have some serious problems with Davinci audio playback artifacts and clics all the time. random.
I'm sure there is a big bug in Davinci's audio engine. I tried my Focusrite 2i2 and my Apollo twin usb nothing works

Davinci studio latest version
Windows 10 pro
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970x 32 core 3.70ghz
256 GB ram
gpu 3x 3090 Nvidia
Audio Realtek

footofwrath

PostTue Oct 05, 2021 11:44 pm

mp14mp14 wrote:I have some serious problems with Davinci audio playback artifacts and clics all the time. random.
I'm sure there is a big bug in Davinci's audio engine. I tried my Focusrite 2i2 and my Apollo twin usb nothing works

Davinci studio latest version
Windows 10 pro
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970x 32 core 3.70ghz
256 GB ram
gpu 3x 3090 Nvidia
Audio Realtek

If you're using a bluetooth speaker, check that your computer isn't using the Hands-free profile; that's exactly what the hands-free profile [which *does* work in my case, but sounds terrible] sounds like for music, because the bandwidth on that profile is intended for voice only.
Resolve Studio 18.6.3

footofwrath

PostTue Oct 05, 2021 11:49 pm

Two different sets of logs (unsure why the size is so vastly different) though I wasn't playing with Audio issues at the time of these crashes so unsure if they will be directly relevant..

Logs logs logs
Resolve Studio 18.6.3

footofwrath

PostTue Oct 05, 2021 11:53 pm

sarahck wrote:I Got my Audio to work by using a USB audio interface instead of the computer audio out. Everything works fine through that. I had an old M-Audio USB FastTrack interface that I pluged in and moved speakers to and and made default audio out in windows and selected in Resolve IO preferences and now everything works even exporting which did not before. So I guess there is an hardware incompatiblity with the onboard Audio Adapter on the MSI X470 ProCarbon with RealTek ALC S1220A Audio Codec.
All my other software was fine with the onboard audio but Its good to have a solution and be able to use the program which is great now that it works!

My board also uses Realtek ALC1200 ... I can also check some other toys I have lying around..
Resolve Studio 18.6.3

Kaku Ito

PostWed Oct 06, 2021 3:41 am

In my case, with Resolve 17 and above, with DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G and HDMI OLED connected,

HDMI audio always work, no matter in edit page and color grading and Fairlight pate.

If I have the audio set to system audio in the preference page,

In Fairlight page, the system audio and decklink HDMI audio both work, but system audio won't work in edit and grading page but HDMI audioworks.

This happens both with Windows and Mac with Mini monitor.

I downgrade to Resolve 16, I don't have this problem.

My work around would be using decklink's analog audio out to the mixer, but I can't find my multi-cable at this point.

footofwrath

PostWed Oct 06, 2021 8:39 am

Thanks Kaku Ito for the input.

In my case I am predominantly verifying first & foremost with the Media page - since I can't even select clips to begin with without sampling them first. How does the Media page look for you?
Resolve Studio 18.6.3

footofwrath

PostMon Oct 11, 2021 8:20 pm

I managed to find one more combination that works, and is actually usable. Actually it was a bit of a jumble. I started by connecting to the Resolve computer through RDP: tried 'remote audio', didn't work. Then I connected a different speaker through 3.5mm jack connected to HDMI through monitor, changed output in Resolve to the HDMI line, and it's working. Is persisting over close/reboot as well and this also doesn't block output for other apps.
Have checked other speakers also simply by directly plugging the same 3.5mm cable, and results are about 50/50 - same will play, some not. Which is quite odd.
One other (kind-of) improvement is that the original speaker that would play on Hands-free but nothing else, -will- now play other apps on the computer, while Resolve is open, even if nothing has changed for it in Resolve itself.
Oh this was all before I upgraded to 17.3.2. After upgrade nothing has changed; nothing is worse, nothing is better, on this front at least.
Resolve Studio 18.6.3

Ugo Laurenti

PostFri Oct 15, 2021 6:52 am

Hi all,
yesterday I was working on my laptop (MBPro Retina late 2014 with Resolve 17.3.1 on Catalina) connected with a Thunderbolt 2 MiniMonitor to the reference monitor and with HDMI to a secondary monitor.
There was no way to ear sound in the Edit page, but everything was fine in the Fairlight one.
It happens also with the exported file once reimported in a new project: one unique video clip with stereo audio, Prores422, audio stereo 16bit.

It was a nightmare to put the subtitles jumping from Edit to Fairlight just to know what was what.

In Edit the audio meter was working, but with no sound.
PC Gigabyte z390, i9-9900k 3,6MHz,32Gb, Zotac 1080ti, Decklink MiniMonitor, Eizo CG2420 Windows10Pro, Resolve Studio 18.5.1, Tangent Element Panel Kit, MB Air m1.

AntAntAntNZ

PostThu Nov 16, 2023 9:43 pm

Hey FootOfWrath
Feeling for you as I read through that thread. I have had the same refusal to output audio at times. Everyy other app will play as expected but Resolve would not. Almost everytime I start up I have to reset preferences til it works. Alter a setting save check alter a setting save check, the final settings are never quite the same it seems to just be like nudging your snoozing work mate, eventually they wake up.
So my last bash today after reading through this thread was disable the optical interface in windows 10 pro (settings / sound / Output / Manage Sound devices) which was the only other audio option live. I am using a focusrite scarlet as output. and Magically everything resolved itself (pun intended). I now only have my scarlet in my windows audio task bar icon. Maybe Resolve just needs one option available in windows to actually accept that that is the preference. It has been an incredible nightmare, esp when someone else has come to look at some footage and we have to play the audio off their phone and hit play at the same time ! Urgggg. Resolve you are awesome but this bit seems to be tripping skilled people up.
Antony.

footofwrath

PostTue Nov 21, 2023 7:07 pm

AntAntAntNZ wrote:Hey FootOfWrath
Feeling for you as I read through that thread. I have had the same refusal to output audio at times. [..]
Antony.

Heh thanks dude. I eventually found a stable combination, that works with both HDMI & DP, so I have both my Ryzen & Mac systems working with Resolve with audio (though to be fair the macbook speakers always work too). I have the sound fed from the monitor to the speaker connected via 3.5mm, letting the HDMI/DP carry the sound from the system. No problems with it that way, unsure why every other combination gave such issues, but this one is stable at least. :ugeek:
Resolve Studio 18.6.3

Return to DaVinci Resolve