Resolve 16 UI suddenly slow - Solved

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Chris Duncan

Resolve 16 UI suddenly slow - Solved

PostSat Oct 02, 2021 2:19 am

Hey, guys.

I've noticed the past few weeks that I'm experiencing a lag in the UI when switching tabs between media / edit / render. The delay is around 2 to 3 seconds, and thus quite noticeable. There is also some new latency in the edit screen when I use the cursor arrows to move from clip to clip, though not as severe as changing between tabs. Video playback doesn't seem to be affected and renders don't exhibit any problems.

I do a lot of scratch video work using a single project, where I drag in sources, do some editing, then export YouTube / Vimeo videos. When I'm done, I delete the sources and timelines from the project and just reuse it the next time around. I thought this might be a factor so today I created a new project, but still have the same UI lag.

My gut feeling is that there's been an accumulation of cache or other tmp files that have built up over the last year or so, but that's just guessing. My hard drives are SSD and both Windows and Resolve perform normally otherwise.

Things worked normally for a long time, and this delay has only been happening the last few weeks. I haven't installed any Resolve updates in at least a year, nor have I installed any other software on this box (beyond the Windows 10 updates that Microsoft forces on me).

Has anyone else experienced a UI delay that seems to have built up over time, or any similar delay like this? I'd be grateful for any insights or suggestions on how to address this.

Thanks!
Last edited by Chris Duncan on Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Duncan
ChristopherDuncan.com
Atlanta, GA

System specs:
Windows 10 64 bit, Xeon 3.2 ghz, 24 gb ram, 2 SSDs (boot & media), Nvidia GTX 980 Ti w/ 6 gb ram
Fusion version 8.1.1 Build 3
Resolve 17.4.2
HyperDeck Shuttle 2, Utility version 4.4

Chris Duncan

Re: Resolve 16 UI suddenly slow

PostFri Oct 15, 2021 5:52 pm

I'm surprised at the lack of feedback. Am I really the only person who's experienced this, or have I not asked the question well enough?
Chris Duncan
ChristopherDuncan.com
Atlanta, GA

System specs:
Windows 10 64 bit, Xeon 3.2 ghz, 24 gb ram, 2 SSDs (boot & media), Nvidia GTX 980 Ti w/ 6 gb ram
Resolve 17.4.2

panos_mts

PostFri Oct 15, 2021 6:47 pm

Chris Duncan wrote:Has anyone else experienced a UI delay that seems to have built up over time, or any similar delay like this? I'd be grateful for any insights or suggestions on how to address this.
Thanks!
I have experienced UI delay in the past with some specific projects. After many hours of wondering why some projects are slow, I discovered that those projects had the exact same name with some other complex projects in the database. I renamed the projects and the problem solved. I posted a bug report a few months ago viewtopic.php?f=21&t=144343

I have expierienced also the same problem when i had a single project that I used for some tests or quick exports, as you described on your first post.

Chris Duncan

PostFri Oct 15, 2021 6:59 pm

panos_mts wrote:
Chris Duncan wrote:Has anyone else experienced a UI delay that seems to have built up over time, or any similar delay like this? I'd be grateful for any insights or suggestions on how to address this.
Thanks!
I have experienced UI delay in the past with some specific projects. After many hours of wondering why some projects are slow, I discovered that those project's had the exact same name with some other complex projects in the database. I renamed the projects and the problem solved. I posted a bug report a few months ago viewtopic.php?f=21&t=144343

I have expierienced also the same problem when i had a single project that I used for some tests or quick exports, as you described on your first post.

Thanks for the feedback, man.

My database only has the single project. I thought about just creating a new database to see if that would help based on some of the experiences you've mentioned. What I discovered is that I have two databases (a previous R16 one from a year or so ago) and the current one, both of which show up under Disk, and above Local Database.

However, and this seems a bit off, no matter which of the two databases I select, I see the same single project, with the thumbnails of what I'm currently working on. I suspect I've somehow screwed up the database environment so that it's confused, and perhaps that's why I'm experiencing the lag.

I'm going to delete both databases, start a new one, and see if that helps. Will follow up here for the benefit of anyone else who may have encountered this as well.

Really appreciate you taking the time to help.
Chris Duncan
ChristopherDuncan.com
Atlanta, GA

System specs:
Resolve 17.4.2

Chris Duncan

PostFri Oct 15, 2021 7:17 pm

panos_mts wrote:
Thanks!
I have experienced UI delay in the past with some specific projects. After many hours of wondering why some projects are slow, I discovered that those projects had the exact same name with some other complex projects in the database. I renamed the projects and the problem solved. I posted a bug report a few months ago viewtopic.php?f=21&t=144343

Okay, after disconnecting the databases, deleting the folders and starting a new database from scratch, UI responsiveness is back to normal, so mischief managed.

Thanks very much for sharing your experiences, it really helped.
Chris Duncan
ChristopherDuncan.com
Atlanta, GA

System specs:
Resolve 17.4.2

Return to DaVinci Resolve