17.3.1 ASIO Crash on capture with Intensity Pro 4K

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Tiger01

17.3.1 ASIO Crash on capture with Intensity Pro 4K

PostTue Oct 05, 2021 3:27 pm

Hi all.
Just updated from V17 and noticed an option to select an ASIO engine. I was using the Windows System settings and all was fine until I changed to the ASIO engine and selected my Motu 24io ASIO. It selected fine and played back fine as expected. However when I try to capture HDMI through the Intensity Pro 4K card the program simply shuts down to the desktop. This happens when monitoring the incoming stream before any frames are captured. The Preview window momentarily freezes prior to the crash. Has anyone else had this? Not sure if it's the Motu driver as its quite old now. Capture works fine if I don't select the ASIO engine option.

Tiger01

Re: 17.3.1 ASIO Crash on capture with Intensity Pro 4K

PostMon Oct 18, 2021 4:04 pm

Here is an update for those having similar issues...

I use a Motu 24 io sound system and a little Focusrite 2i2 for stereo recording. My maximum sample rate is 96KHz.

I think I've cured it and this is what I did.....

Because the Motu 24 io Asio driver was crashing resolve seriously straight to the desktop I thought that I would try a little 2i2 Focusrite interface. Resolve recognised the asio driver and allowed me to select it in preferences. I clicked to open its control panel and Resolve crashed so I assumed the problem was with resolve. I promptly checked the Focusrite site and, as I don't use that particular device very often, found that the driver I was using one was an old one. I installed the latest focusrite driver and ran Resolve up. In preferences I selected the Focusrite asio driver again and clicked on the control panel. This time I was able to look at the asio settings for the interface. I noticed, purely by chance, that the Focusrite asio control panel showed a value of 420 for the buffer size i.e *420*. Well this looked like a calculated value as it was not in the dropdown list and it had the * around it. I left it alone and closed the control panel. I set up for capturing from the intensity pro 4k HDMI. The capture was successful. I then switched the asio driver to the Motu and opened the control panel. The buffers were set to 4028 because that is how it was set on my old slow machine, for capturing 24 tracks at 96K, which always worked fine. I decided to set the Motu buffers to 514, which is the nearest to 420 in the dropdown list. This produces a successful HDMI capture with no crash. Si I conclude that the Motu large buffer setting was the issue. I haven't tried any audio capture with Fairlight yet.

Return to DaVinci Resolve