Media offline error immediately

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

paheikki

Media offline error immediately

PostTue Oct 05, 2021 6:19 pm

Hi,

I am struggling to get my first "Hello world" project to work, using Studio 17.3.1 build 5.

If I add any clip on my hard drive to Media Bin and then to the time line, it flashes a red "Media Offline" error, and the display is a mess, showing parts of the clip but mostly the error message.

I find a number of articles mentioning this, but they tell the issue happens when you have moved the media files to a new location. This is not the case: I've only added them to the project, and they fail immediately.

What am I doing wrong?

Pauli

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Media offline error immediately

PostWed Oct 06, 2021 6:36 am

moved to Resolve forum
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Uli Plank

PostWed Oct 06, 2021 8:11 am

Start by telling us all about your media, your hardware and your timeline resolution.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

paheikki

PostWed Oct 06, 2021 9:55 am

Thanks. My hardware is a 2018 vintage Intel based Windows 10 PC. The media I have are various MP4 (H.264) files, most of them have been produced by Shotcut or Adobe Premiere Pro, which I have in the same computer. I cannot answer the question about the timeline resolution.

I just open DaVinci Resolve, import a clip to the Media Bin, drag it into the timeline, and it does not work, but says "Media Offline".

Shotcut and Premiere Pro have no issues opening the same clips.

Am I the only one seeing this issue?

Uli Plank

PostWed Oct 06, 2021 11:38 am

Did you check the minimum requirements for DR, GPU in particular?
I'm afraid your machine is not up to it.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

paheikki

PostWed Oct 06, 2021 1:05 pm

I have Geforce 1050 Ti with 4 GB RAM. It matches the minimum RAM requirement, but is it too slow?

John Paines

PostWed Oct 06, 2021 1:50 pm

That GPU should be adequate for basic HD editing and simple grading. What could be happening is, the timeline settings are incompatible with the clips and/or the clips (what resolution?) are exceeding the capabilities of the system.

For starters, set up a project with an HD timeline and with the correct frame rate for the clips, and monitor in HD, and see whether you're still getting the media offline error. If these are unfamiliar notions, work through one of the tutorials or consult the manual for basic project preferences.

paheikki

PostWed Oct 06, 2021 2:25 pm

Thanks! After lots of experimentation based on this I noticed one mistake and got many clips, even HD and 4K to work. The mistake was that I had not really tried other clips than ones created by Shotcut.

It seems that all my MP4 clips that have been produced by Shotcut, no matter which resolution, are not compatible with Davinci Resolve. If I "convert" them, that is, open and save the same clips using another software, e.g. Mercalli, I can open them in Resolve!

Thank you for your help!

John Paines

PostWed Oct 06, 2021 2:50 pm

I've taken h.264 exports from Shotcut into Resolve many times, without issue.

paheikki

PostWed Oct 06, 2021 5:54 pm

Thanks for the information. These clips have been produced by the current Shotcut version, and none of them seem to work. Interestingly, they also play erratically in the latest VLC player.

It must be a strange issue. Anyway, now I have a workflow that I can use. Thank you!

paheikki

PostSun Oct 24, 2021 3:27 pm

SOLVED, based on a suggestion I was given on the Shotcut forum.

I unchecked "Use hardware encoder" on Shotcut. After that, the MP4 videos it produces are compatible with Davinci Resolve.

I have a Geforce 1050 Ti card and the latest Nvidia drivers so I thought it should work, but apparently it doesn't. This seems like an issue that Shotcut has.

Great thanks for all your helpful messages!

DBenz003

PostSun Oct 24, 2021 5:32 pm

Hi,
I also have this problem, my mp4 4k videos are straight from a Sony AX100E 4K camcorder, offloaded and placed into the media pool, then into timeline and in places in that clip is saying on some frames media offline. if in a location where that wasnt present I do a cut, then either side of that cut then becomes media offline.

I am told elsewhere that WD eco green drive is at fault, 5400 not enough, also the co varies its drive speed to be eco.

I have always done video editing in premiere pro with such, so why now DaVinci requries 7200 rpm, or perhaps SSD.

I am about to make this win7 64bit pro PC a win 10 64 bit pro, so do I get 7200 HDD or SSD instead.
Urgently need to know.

the 2Gb drive is full , so get a 2.5 or 3Gb SSD, BUT they dont make them ! and 4Gb is horrendously expensive, all cos of Resolve.

update, I see this article,
https://beginnersapproach.com/davinci-r ... a-offline/

nothing about replace the HDD in that and nothing there that applies to me, unless the mp4 needs making into a massive file thats easier to edit than the codec H264 as is one fix suggested, so DaVinci doioesnt wirk with H264...why ? , but I cant go bloating up 100s of videos, drive is almost full. Are other 4K editors also afflicted with this annoying error, to rebuild the PC to win 10 and replace HDD and still have it exist after much expense will see me go ballistic. I cant even get started with Resolve with .mp4 placed straight from Sony camcorder being supposedly offline when it hasnt even been moved.

DBenz

Return to DaVinci Resolve