New Computer | Transfer Preferences, User Settings, Presets

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Nathan Shirley

New Computer | Transfer Preferences, User Settings, Presets

PostSun Oct 10, 2021 7:42 pm

I've figured out how to export and import databases and custom keyboard shortcuts, but how would you go about exporting or transferring user settings/preferences, presets, etc., to a new computer? I'm moving from a Windows 10 machine to a Windows 11 machine (using Resolve Studio).

I've found some presets and a file or two that seem to contain some preference settings in the standard "user", "AppData" area. But it would be good to know if there's an official way to do this before I start messily copying/editing these files. There seems to be a lot of information on exporting a database, but I couldn't find much on these user settings.

IsraEliteMedia

Re: New Computer | Transfer Preferences, User Settings, Pres

PostSun Oct 10, 2021 8:11 pm

Following
SYSTEM SPECS
DR Studio 18.6.6 (2 seats) Win 11 Pro (fully updated)
13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K 3.00 GHz
128GB RAM DDR5
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Studio Driver 551.86

Erik Davis, IsraEliteMedia--Zichron Yaakov, Israel

Nathan Shirley

PostSat Oct 16, 2021 12:09 am

Well I ended up getting some of my presets from "AppData" files--a little tedious to find but it worked. Aside from importing databases and custom keyboard shortcuts, I ended up just redoing most things in Resolve. It would be great if it were possible to automate more of this.

IsraEliteMedia

PostSat Oct 16, 2021 2:29 pm

Sorry to hear this news. A user preference master save would be a treat for such situations.

Erik
SYSTEM SPECS
DR Studio 18.6.6 (2 seats) Win 11 Pro (fully updated)
13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K 3.00 GHz
128GB RAM DDR5
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Studio Driver 551.86

Erik Davis, IsraEliteMedia--Zichron Yaakov, Israel

bbizzle

PostSat Jan 15, 2022 12:02 pm

Was looking for this exact solution as well. Bummer there isn't an easy way to do this.

Andy Mees

PostSat Jan 15, 2022 12:25 pm

Am assuming you're aware of the User Preferences Save and Import options?
Screenshot 2022-01-15 at 12.10.08.png
Screenshot 2022-01-15 at 12.10.08.png (238.29 KiB) Viewed 2675 times

And the subsequent Export Preset option?
Screenshot 2022-01-15 at 12.18.00.png
Screenshot 2022-01-15 at 12.18.00.png (199.95 KiB) Viewed 2675 times
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

hexspa

PostSat Jan 15, 2022 4:15 pm

I like to have a separate database for every unique video I make. Because of this, my project settings are never saved. To manage this issue, I copy my preexisting .xml preset into:

project/resolve projects/users/guest/configs

of the new database. You must do this prior to starting resolve or restart it after you've pasted the file.
9900K, 32GB, EVGA RTX 2060 Super, Z390 Aorus Pro, LG UHD Monitor; Windows 11 Home 21H2, Resolve 17.4.3.

John Paines

PostSat Jan 15, 2022 6:59 pm

hexspa wrote:Because of this, my project settings are never saved. To manage this issue, I copy my preexisting .xml preset into:

project/resolve projects/users/guest/configs

in the new database.

If all you need to retain are project settings, you need only export a .drp of a project which contains them, then import that .drp into each new database, open it, and make those settings the default.

IanJSaul

PostFri Nov 10, 2023 4:42 pm

For future reference, here is how I overcame the issue of setting up a new DR install on Windows - when I only had access to the directory structure of the old install - and not the UI.

Not that YOUR USERNAME must be replaced with the actual Windows username for the account you used DR on previously.

Browse to:
C:\Users\(YOUR USERNAME)\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Preferences

I first made a BACKUP of these settings from the NEW DR INSTALL (just in case), then I pasted in everything except the folders with "." in front (not .credentials or .update). Yes, I did copy over the Fairlight folder.

I then copied my DB from the following location:
C:\Users\(YOUR USERNAME)\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support\Resolve Disk Database

And I CONNECTED to that as an existing LOCAL DB. This brought over all of my projects.

When starting DR, it came up EXACTLY as I had it setup previously, though I've made this post before testing everything out.

In the future, the "Export User Settings" as mentioned above seems like a good periodic step to back things up.

Best of luck, YMMV. -Ian

Return to DaVinci Resolve