"Reconnecting" old Projects

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Kordanor

"Reconnecting" old Projects

PostMon Oct 11, 2021 7:38 pm

Heyho!

I recently broke my Windows install and had to reinstall everything, but made a clone of the drive with all the data.

However after reinstalling resolve I am struggling with reconnecting the old projects.

From what I understand is, you can reconnect an old "database" with all your projects or individual projects.

I failed doing either though. I have no idea how to even select a database as it doesnt mention any file name, and you cant select a directory.
And it seems like projects are stored at:
H:\Users\Kordanor\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support\Resolve Disk Database\Resolve Projects\Users\guest\Projects\Review Geneforge DE\
Whereas the last part is my project name. However the file there is called Project.db and cant be imported.

So where can I find my old projects or DB and how can I reconnect it?

Kordanor

Re: "Reconnecting" old Projects

PostSun Oct 17, 2021 5:47 pm

Nodboy got any idea? I can't be the first person with that issue

John Paines

PostSun Oct 17, 2021 7:38 pm

Make a copy of the folder "Resolve Disk Database", currently on your H drive, and rename the copy to anything but "Resolve Disk Database".

Then move that newly renamed folder to your current system disk, and connect to it using the database manager. That process is described in the manual, if you need more help.

jamedia

PostSun Oct 17, 2021 7:59 pm

Kordanor wrote:Nodboy got any idea? I can't be the first person with that issue

no idea but I am about to do the same...it is a real pain in the arrse compared to FCPX
www.JAmedia.uk
[AMD Ryzen 5950X 16 Core CPU | 128GB Ram | NVIDIA 3080TI 12GB ]
[MB ASUS ProArt B550| C Drive:; 1TB M2 980 Pro | D Drive; 2TB M2 970 EVO ]
[ Win 11 home |Resolve Studio V18.6 | Speed Editor via USB | Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen| ]

Kordanor

PostSun Oct 17, 2021 8:12 pm

John Paines wrote:Make a copy of the folder "Resolve Disk Database", currently on your H drive, and rename the copy to anything but "Resolve Disk Database".

Then move that newly renamed folder to your current system disk, and connect to it using the database manager. That process is described in the manual, if you need more help.

Thanks a ton, that worked!

jamedia

PostSun Oct 24, 2021 3:53 pm

John Paines wrote:Make a copy of the folder "Resolve Disk Database", currently on your H drive, and rename the copy to anything but "Resolve Disk Database".

Where in the manual? I find that unless you know what you are looking for (inthe terms BMD use) you can't find anything. It is usually a lot faster to search on youtube!
www.JAmedia.uk
[ Win 11 home |Resolve Studio V18.6 | Speed Editor via USB | Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen| ]

jamedia

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 6:48 pm

I manafged to move all my databases and projects from one computer (a PC ) to another (a PC)

I did move the local database and changed "Resolve Disk Database" to "old Resolve Disk Database". Dropped the one I was moving in and it all (almost) worked. I use Itunes as a library for my licenced music and I had to re-link the folders

For my other databases what I do is on the D drive I have a whole load of them. I have a "Project Folder" then creat a database in that. The only problem is it has to be an empty folder. Then add other folders for notes, scripts etc and one for Media. The Media goes in there. Sometimes with video, audio and stills sub- folders.

To move from computer to computer I can (as long as tere is a D drive with the same structure) I just copy the root project directory to the same place onthe D dreive on the other computer. Then in "connect database" use the same name and browse for the resolve DB folder in the project. The only other thing I may need to do, as above is refresh the link to the iTunes library for the music.

Not as easy as with FCPX but a similar concept of everything in one project directory.
www.JAmedia.uk

Return to DaVinci Resolve