Consistent Fusion errors and glitches

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Paul Forgy

Consistent Fusion errors and glitches

PostMon Oct 11, 2021 11:41 pm

I have a project with some straightforward fusion compositions that will not render without erroring out. The comps consist of three merges(single exr images) and a color corrector.

The error is:
Render Job 4 failed as the current clip could not be processed. The Fusion composition on the current frame or clip could not be processed successfully.

There is another topic with this issue suggesting numerous workarounds, none of which work for me. That thread has received no response from a Blackmagic employee. One suggestion is to disable the option in preferences->UI Settings: 'Stop renders when a frame or clip cannot be processed' If I do that, the clip will render, but there are considerable visual artifacts in the output, presumably in the spots where it would have previously errored out.

I've tried deleting and rebuilding all the fusion compositions, tried all kinds of codecs and exporting to still frame tif's. I cannot find a way to get around these errors to render my project successfully.

Here is a sample showing the visual artifacts and glitching:

The majority of the video renders correctly; there is no difference or change in the compositions where the errors or visual glitching appears. The composition is comprised only of static still image masks and overlays.

I'd be happy to upload this project to DaVinci to use as a test case.

TheBloke

Re: Consistent Fusion errors and glitches

PostTue Oct 12, 2021 10:03 am

Yeah upload the project so it can be investigated. Ideally as a DRA including all media - or enough media to recreate the problem. If they're still images hopefully that won't be a huge amount of media.

You can't upload files bigger than 1 or 2MB to this forum, so you'll need to use a file sharing site like Google Drive or Dropbox.
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

Ryan Bloomer

PostTue Oct 12, 2021 6:04 pm

one quick thing you can try, is to change the merge settings to process without the GPU.

Merge/settings
Use GPU: Disabled

Paul Forgy

PostWed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm

Ryan Bloomer wrote:one quick thing you can try, is to change the merge settings to process without the GPU.

Merge/settings
Use GPU: Disabled

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried disabling GPU in the merge and color correct nodes, and if anything it may have made it worse. I also disabled it globally in the preferences, no difference.

infinityespi

PostWed Oct 13, 2021 9:03 pm

When fusion bugs out like that I usually go into playback ---> delete render cache ----> all. If that doesn't work, right click your comp and "render in place". Sometimes using render in place will export it good vs when you do it in the deliver page. lastly if all else fails I suggest creating a saver node and render that EXR sequence. Disable your fusion comp and put in a new fusion comp above your disabled one and in that new fusion comp use a Loader node to load the EXR sequence.
DaVinci Resolve Studio 17
macOS Big Sur
Imac 2021
M1
16 gigs of Ram
https://www.infinityespi.com

Paul Forgy

PostThu Oct 21, 2021 8:05 am

infinityespi wrote:When fusion bugs out like that I usually go into playback ---> delete render cache ----> all. If that doesn't work, right click your comp and "render in place". Sometimes using render in place will export it good vs when you do it in the deliver page. lastly if all else fails I suggest creating a saver node and render that EXR sequence. Disable your fusion comp and put in a new fusion comp above your disabled one and in that new fusion comp use a Loader node to load the EXR sequence.

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried deleting the render cache and had no luck with that. Ultimately I had to do something similar to your next suggestion, where I disabled all the comps and rendered out new exr's, created a new timeline and added the comp to that.

That solution is obviously not production or iteration friendly as it adds several steps. I hope that Blackmagic will address these fusion issues within Resolve.

Uli Plank

PostThu Oct 21, 2021 6:06 pm

When Fusion develops problems in Resolve, I normally go into the standalone version.
Sometimes I think that BM was asking too much by trying to integrate the two softwares.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Return to DaVinci Resolve