Can Resolve replace my use of Premier Pro?(Partially solved)

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Lars Andersson

Can Resolve replace my use of Premier Pro?(Partially solved)

PostFri Oct 15, 2021 12:32 pm

Can Resolve replace my use of Premier Pro?

I'm digitizing mostly 8mm and 16mm films. I have a Adobe subscription and it costs me a lot every year. I only use Premier Pro for one thing and I wonder if Resolve can do the same.

The only time I use Premier Pro is when I have a 8/16mm film with sound. I have to digitize them separately becuase I can't cut them at the same time. If I cut a few frames in the film no one will notice it but if I cut the sound you will hear it directly. So the last step is to synchronize the sound with the film.

If you listen to the sound clip you will hear a short noise when the camera starts and when they turn it off. This is the marker I will use when I synchronize the sound with the film. I search for the corresponding places in the film and cut both the film-clip and the sound file at the same place. Now is the problem that the film clip and the sound file will differ in size. Not much but enough to make the end result poor.

In adobe I check the amount of frames in the sound file and then mark the video clip and resize it to the same amount of frames. The only thing I found in Resolve so far is the "Speed Change" in the Inspector. But here I can only change the fps and the percentage, not the amount of frames. I read in the manual (p661) that it can be changed to key frames but don't know how to do it if possible.

One last thing that makes my life more difficult in Resolve is when I speed change a clip I have to have "Ripple Sequence" marked. If not the clip won’t be change to the new size. But at the same time it will move all other clips which I won’t. I only want the actual clip to be resized with the new speed and not the rest of my project. Also one thing I haven't found how to solve.

Would appreciate all input to solve this. Hopefully I can end my subscription with Adobe and save some money.
Last edited by Lars Andersson on Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ellory Yu

Re: Can Resolve replace my use of Premier Pro?

PostFri Oct 15, 2021 3:30 pm

The short answer is Yes you can do it in Resolve. Premier Pro, from an editing standpoint only, has more to offer. However what you are asking can be done in Resolve through several ways. You probably already know that you can unlink the video from the audio which will let you cut just the video part, hence retaining the audio track. With that, you can use keyframes to fill in the cut areas. Speed Change will not help you. I think (I am not in front of Resolve) the other option is Speed Duration will give you more options like adding more frames. Keyframing I think will be what you are looking for and could be your friend. You can read about how to keyframe in the edit timeline starting on page 928 in the Resolve 17 manual.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Lars Andersson

PostFri Oct 15, 2021 4:20 pm

Thanks for the input!

Have looked into the pages you suggested but I still can't figure out how I can do it. What I want Resolve to do is to either add some frames (duplicate) or decrease the number of frames. I want the clip to have all the original frames intact, just playing with the duplicated ones to get the size I want. Hard to describe I guess.

Ellory Yu

PostFri Oct 15, 2021 4:43 pm

Lars Andersson wrote:Thanks for the input!

Have looked into the pages you suggested but I still can't figure out how I can do it. What I want Resolve to do is to either add some frames (duplicate) or decrease the number of frames. I want the clip to have all the original frames intact, just playing with the duplicated ones to get the size I want. Hard to describe I guess.

Have you looked into the Optical Flow function in Resolve. There might be something there that will help with what you're trying to accomplish, albeit it's original purpose is used to repair missing frames, smooth frame motion, and variable retiming of clips. Check out page 1626.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Lars Andersson

PostSat Oct 16, 2021 2:43 pm

I appreciate your effort to help me but it seems that it's "Speed Change" in the Inspector that is the solution, BUT it doesn’t work for me because I can’t see the amount of frames and only change them. Hopefully they can implement that beside the other two, percentage and fps. This would solve the problem. As it is I’ve found another software on the internet that will do the job so in the end I can cancel my subscription to Adobe and save some money. Again, thanks for your help!

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Can Resolve replace my use of Premier Pro?(Partially sol

PostSun Oct 17, 2021 4:47 am

Try the nearest speed change setting.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Return to DaVinci Resolve